Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

My furnace is a Rheem 90+, ca. 2003, and when the blower

Customer Question

My furnace is a Rheem 90+, ca. 2003, and when the blower starts it makes a sound similar to an old car's starter starting a car engine, and it gets faster as the fan gets faster, then the starter-like noise stops and it continues as normal. This only happens when the furnace starts.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

This sounds like your blower wheel has come loose on the motor shaft or the blower wheel hub has separated from the rest of the blower wheel. The wheel is most likely contacting the side of the blower wheel housing and causing this noise. After the motor finally gets up to speed the wheel may find a balance spot where it no longer rubs. You should check your blower motor, wheel and housing for signs of looseness and damage.

Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!

Thank you,
Brian