gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

Here I am replacing an electric heat thermostat. The wires

Customer Question

Customer: hi, ***** ***** here I am replacing an electric heat thermostat. The wires from the wall are 1 red hot, one black hot and one white neutral, and a ground. The new thermostat has 2red and 2 black. not sure how to approach this
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what else do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new thermostat is a honeywell CT410B -- it is for my shop that has just electric baseboard heat, and I am replacing an old Federal Pacific model PMT2.
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.

One moment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi gotoman. Do you have advice for me?

Are those 115 heaters or 220. How many connected to thermostat. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 3. They are old intertherm units and I don't know how to tell if they are 220 or 115

Was the white neutral connected to heaters. Russ

What color are wires from heater. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was connected to the thermostat. There is only one set of wires coming out of the wall. As mentioned, 2 hot (red and black) and 1 white neutral and a ground. They were all connected to the old thermostat

Check where wires go into heater. Should be a small panel to remove. There will be a nameplate there. Check voltage. Voltage has to be right or we will blow heaters, Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
240 volts

Twist 2 black from thermostat together and attach to black from wall. Twist two reds together and attach to red wire from wall. Tape off neutral wire. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do with the ground?

Check to see of there is a ground screw on thermostat base. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure you saw my response. No screw hole on the thermostat for the ground. Not sure what to do with it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotoman, did I lose you? Almost finished but need to know what to do with the ground wire?

Sorry just lost Internet service. Ok Looked at picture just tape off ground. That is all plastic thermostat. Russ

Thanks Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries, just thought you dropped off. It's not working, it didn't blow a fuse though, so not sure where to go from here. In the old set up, the white wire was connected as was the ground. I will open the box on the heater and test if it's hot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the baseboard heater wiring. I checked both sides and both are hot even if the thermostat is off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the heater #2. It had one open live red wire, but this was not coming from the Romex supply wire, that only had a black, white and ground. The black was hot and connected to the baseboard heater element...the red that was hot was a returning wire from the heater elements. See attached heater #2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realize this is taking more than expected and if I can solve this I expect to pay you accordingly. Can you stay with it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a third baseboard heater is a bit harder to get to, but this one was never touched so I am sure the wireing is fine.
The other 2 had been moved around when a bit of construction went on. The walls they were against were replaced, so they were knocked around. I guess the only remaining question is what to do with that red wire on heater #2.

Is that 220 volt heater. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The wire from the thermostat can you find where it ties into your heaters. Russ

When you removed thermostat was the white wire connected. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was

Can you send photo of old thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the old unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The odd thing is that 2 of the 3 baseboards have 12/3 wire and the 3rd has 12/2.

The power going in we need to knw where thye go. whe they go to heat. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I tell? I have a multi meter but that is about all. The best I can do is unwire one to see the order of the sequence. Does that matter?

Just connect red to white. Retry heater to see if it works. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russ, it's not working, but I can't continue on this. I appreciate your help today and will agree to pay what you think is fair. You have been solid on this and I will have to get someone in here to figure this out. I will give you a great rating too, even though we didn't solve it, your were very helpful. I am not sure what the next step is, this is the first time I did justanswer.

The problem with the site is sometimes you can not fix everything. It is best to be on site. Thanks for everything. Russ