HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a 20+ year old Rheem forced air furnace

Customer Question
(RGLH-10EAMER) that I am trying...
I have a 20+ year old Rheem forced air furnace (RGLH-10EAMER) that I am trying to keep running for another year or two. After calling for heat, the induced draft motor starts and runs for approximately 30 seconds. The igniter then warms up and glows orange. Toward the end of the approximately 30 seconds of igniter glowing, I can hear the gas switch on, but the main burner does not always light. Sometimes it will try to light through the 4 tries then turns off completely. If I toggle the main breaker to the furnace, it will run through the process above again. I have not yet walked through the trouble shooter guide with a multimeter, but it appears from just reading portions of the guide that the Intigrated Furnace Control (IFC) needs to be replaced (if the wiring is OK). Not sure if that is something that I can do myself. Any tips on how to further test the IFC or reset it somehow? It seems to work sometimes and then not work other times, and that doesn't seem to indicate a malfunctioning intigated controller to me ... they are usually working or dead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/10/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Do you have 24 VAC at the gas valve when the burner won't light? Does is sometimes light?

It does light sometimes and the burners appear to have a consistent burn (no sputtering or intermittent burning), and the system seems to all be working great at that time. Then other times, the burners do not light, even after the igniter runs through it cycle 4 times and each time glowing red/orange for about 30 seconds. I don't know about the 24 VAC yet at the gas valve. I was assuming that if the igniter always glows as required, that I have 24 VAC? Maybe the 24 VAC controls the valve for the gas release? I just don't know, and the intermittent working/not working has me confused. Was just wondering if there was an easy way to further test the IFC or reset it somehow ... or perhaps there is something else going on?

You need to test for 24 v at the gas valve when it doesn't fire up and the ignitor is glowing . If you have 24 v and no ignition then you have a bad gas valve. If you don't have 24v at the valve then you either have a bad board (IFC) or a bad connection between the board and the valve.

Rick,
I received your email request to rate your service. I have not provided a rating, because I really did not receive an answer to my question. I was already aware of the troubleshooting process to derive an answer that points to a bad board (IFC) or bad gas valve. Before forking over the cash to replace either or both of those components, I was interested in any options for further testing the IFC or gas valve ... or being able to reset it, etc. I had the troubleshooting guide in hand, along with a multimeter. But the troubleshooting guide at the point that I had traversed only pointed me to replacement of the IFC (if no 24 VAC) or the gas valve (if 24 VAC but no gas). The gas ignites every once in a while, which I had explained above. I was trying to avoid having to purchase and replace one or both components. Now it looks like I have to do that plus pay for your advice. I respect that you have many more years of experience with these systems, and you have an excellent rating overall ... so I did not want to rate you even though I really didn't get what I was looking for. John

What you're looking for doesn't exist. I outlined the tests you need to perform. If I didn't provide enough added detail, more than the troubleshooting guide I can't help that. Whether you rate or not is up to you.

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor