Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Trying to light pilot but on line instructions say the knob

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Trying to light pilot but on line instructions say the knob should be in pilot position. My Weil only shows auto and manual positions
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's an old Weil McLain boiler
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What is the brand and model of the unit you're trying to light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Weil mcclain
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

What model? are you looking at the indicators on the gas control valve at the boiler?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't find the model but the gas control knob does not have a pilot setting. Only Auto and Manual. I also see the red button
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but your description doesn't add up for me. Can you post a picture of the gas control valve and the boiler here? you can post pics here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the send button

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the pic but I need a wider shot and a shot of the boiler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got the boiler on but only by keeping the switch to manual. If I put it back to auto, the fire goes out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another pic
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but your gas valve pics are not helping. Please give me a wider shot this time show me the entire inside of the burner compartment including the gas valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, as I suspected this is a pretty old boiler. We need to do some trouble shooting which will require jumping some electrical connections. Are you OK with that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really. What happens if I keep it on manual?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You can run it on manual but keep an eye on the pressure gauge. If the pressure gets above 5 you should shut it down until the pressure drops then put it on manual again. If you just leave it on manual the pressure could get dangerously high. The relief valve should blow at 15 psi but as old as it is it may not work. You really need to call in a plumber but you can run it on manual under the above conditions