HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My furnace is not igniting

Customer Question

My furnace is not igniting
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Is the ignitor coming on and glowing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan just blows are as soon as you turn it on.. I don't see any glowing
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Can you see if there is power to the ignitor and are there any error codes on the board flashing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess there is power.. I don't see any flashing lights
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

The ignitor may be broken or bad can you check it visually or with an ohm meter, that is the most common issue that would cause that problem.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just as soon as you turn it off the blower just keeps going
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do i do?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

When you turn it off the main blower keeps running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no matter what the thermostat on or off the blower just keeps going until iI power the blower off
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Then you may have a bad board on the unit the relay for the blower may be stuck on the board itself. You may have to leave it powered off until you can replace the control board on it that can happen on that unit as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do iI get the furnace to light then.?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

You can not if the relay is stuck, check all the thermal rollouts around the burner are just in case one has tripped open. Some have a push reset button on them maybe one of them has tripped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me where these thermal rollout are? There are four burners.. I really need to figure this out.. It's freezing already
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave you the model number so you should know i hope
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

They are just above the burners on each side 2 small round discs with reset buttons. You may not be able to get it working tonight though with the issue you are having if the board is bad, just to let you know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would these cause the blower to just keep going? And there are buttons on them? It was working fine till iI dusted dirt out of there and wiped off the dirty flame sensor.. So iIdon't think it's the board. I did not touch thatt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I turn off breaker before iI reset the rollout things
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

They can cause the blower to run all the time if one is tripped open yes.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the buttons on back or front?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

They are between the two wires going to each of them

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe ibumped one andthat messed it up? t
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Maybe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do iI just press down on them toreset? t
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

yes they just push down if tripped normally they would click if tripped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK one clicked.. Is that good?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

yes now try it and it should work!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow.. Thanks.. I feel stupid.. Works now..
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Great!

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

If you do not need anything else all I ask is please use the STAR rating system before leaving thanks

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Note I am not paid or credited anything until a good rating is given, I believe your issue has been solved so I please ask you to rate my service so I can be credited for my time. thanks