HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Just replaced my gas hot water heater. while i was working

Customer Question
Customer: Hi just replaced my...
Customer: Hi just replaced my gas hot water heater. while i was working on it, I shut off the gas to my boiler next to it for safety. I neglected to shut off the power to the boiler. When I went to fire everything back up, my boiler will not light. The control is flashing five times "damper error" Honeywell S8610U... is there a way to reset it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's it...I shut off gas to the boiler for about an hour, when I turned the gas back on it won't start, or even try to start. Come to think of it, I could hear it trying to start when the gas was off.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
1/3/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The error doesn't make sense based on just shutting the gas off. Try turning the power off then back on again. Tell me what happens. Does the damper open? does the boiler (attempt to) fire up? If not I need the brand and model of the boiler.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think I have a damper...what would it look like? This is an old converted boiler (originally oil). Going to shut off power again. I did it once, but will wait a little longer

If this was originally an oil fired boiler then it probably doesn't have a motorized vent damper. If so that would mean you have a gas conversion burner. So I need the boiler brand and model as well as the burner brand and model.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same error code after shutting off power for one minute.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
one sec...

I also need a picture of the ignition control. You can post a pic here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
photos coming...Boiler is a Crane, no model
Burner is Adams Speedflame, model HU-300B

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pics loaded
image1.JPGimage1.JPGimage1 (1).JPGimage1...JPGimage3.JPGimage3.JPGimage 4.JPGimage 4.JPGimage 5.JPGimage 5.JPG

I really needed a close up straight on shot of the ignition control but I think I see a cable plugged into the vent damper connection on the control. So where does that cable go? do you have a motor sticking out the side of the exhaust vent?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?

I have to leave for several hours so I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Sorry for the delay. I t seems none of my colleagues stepped in to help. Turning off the gas should not have produced this error on the ignition control. The only time you should see this error is if a vent damper is connected to the control. If one was never connected or that connector never had a jumper plug in place then there's a problem with the ignition control.

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor