HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Replaced batteries, but screen only shows the bottom five

Customer Question
squares when screen is pressed....
replaced batteries, but screen only shows the bottom five squares when screen is pressed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
1/2/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

What is model on thermostat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
VisionPro TH8000 Series

OK and you are getting no temp display or time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just see five squares at the bottom of screen, nothing else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am able to see you now online, So just type your answers instead of calling,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No temp display or time. Just the five squares at the bottom of the screen which has no content.

Remove front of thermostat again and look real closely at the little prongs that plug in.Make sure they are all straight,none slightly bent

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check the prongs once more

If they all look good.Tell me if thermostat has a wire connected to C terminal and if you have a volt meter to check between R and C for 24 volts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Prongs are not bent

Tell me if thermostat has a wire connected to C terminal and if you have a volt meter to check between R and C for 24 volts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a volt meter. I have the manual, where is the C Terminal?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but I bought a new package of batteries to replace the old ones.

Did you try different ones already?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, but I will. I checked the wires. A white, a red, and a yellow. They all look connected.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I changed the batteries. Nothing has changed.

For unit to come on, we have to have power but the display actually come on and show temp even with front off and in your hand.Honeywell classifies this an arm chair programmable stat.In otherwords. you should be able to take it off the wall and go sit in your chair to program it and have all settings and numbers on display. If you have batteries that are definitely good, your thermostat has probably taken a power spike and will have to be replaced.

There is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.

Note: Occasionally , this will not work and will even cause thermostat to start smoking.If so simply remove batteries.If thermostat is not working already, it is worthless anyway, so no harm done .I have seen it work about 20 per cent of the time. So if that is something you are comfortable doing would try it.Could save you having to buy another thermostat.Otherwise, just go ahead and replace it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure the thermostat is bad. It was working until I tried to change the batteries. I am thinking I should call my furnace person on Monday.

I understand. If you have no display on thermostat with new batteries, you should have display though.Let me know what he finds.

Are you 100 per cent sure batteries are installed correctly?

Let me know what tech finds. Not much else we can troubleshoot.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer