Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a Trane HVAC system, the fan will run, but puts out

Customer Question

we have a Trane HVAC system, the fan will run, but puts out no heat.
I have unplugged the system, to hopefuly reset but there is no heat!
Any other things I need to check ?
Cheryl
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trane XB80
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Cheryl most of these furnaces have a control board mounted on blower housing .On that board there should be a status LED light.When furnace fails the light should blink a certain number of times to indicate what has failed. Can you look and see if the light is blinking and if so what the pattern of the blinking is? That will help us in knowing where to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the three zones are green the system light is redno blinking at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you still there, it took me a while to go to the garage, and up to the attic
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am not that familiar with zone systems, did you look in furnace itself in blower compartment for a code or just on zone panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trane XB80 is not the number you need?So I'll go up and look inside the blower & the zone panelIf you would call me I will go upo there and stay for continued follow upThanks Cheryl
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Cheryl, lets see if we have a blinking light on the furnace board first.The phone call charges and additional 18 dollars and closes the question on the site.I want to make sure I can help you before going that route.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trane model # *****
200 amps
Trane C34194 ?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk and delay getting assistance..Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one question? do I pay two people?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No. Do not click on a rating button until you have received an answer and are 100 per cent satisfied. That is why I did not accept call as I am not sure I can help. Wait until you have received the answer before rating.If no one can help, you may request a refund and are credited .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK WHERE IS SOMEONE ELSE to help?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, a diagnosis will require you to use a multi meter (electrical test instrument).. if you have that and some background I can coach you through a diagnosis. The chance that this is a simple 'reset' issue are in the 2% range (two chances our of a hundred). Let me know if you feel up to digging into the electronics etc or not or if someone else in the family wants to go that route.

These are complex systems, the training is 2 years in a community college 20 units a semester and then 2 years in the field practicing under a journeyman... then for most techs, two weeks a year in factory schools studying all the new developments.

What you can do yourself is limited or enabled by your technical background... if you have some of the basics under your belt, such skills with appliances and car repair I can often coach a person in that category to an accurate diagnosis and repair... thats usually a 2 to 4 hour project however..

Let me know if you think that approach is suitable to your skill set and we can go from there, if not, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will see if I can locate a well established and well rated outfit that can do that for you.