HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My furnace isnt heating
, i set the thermostat and it

Customer Question
Customer: my furnace isnt heating...
Customer: my furnace isnt heating
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i set the thermostat and it wont heat, it's a American Standard Trane Furnace (AUC1B040A9241AD) the light on the circuit board is steadily blinking (quickly) and the flame doesnt seem to be igniting
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: whats the typical duration to get a response?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just bought this home and one of the items on teh inspection report was condensation in the furnace. There was a trail of fluid coming from the unit upon inspection but hasnt been there in the last 3-4 weeks. When I open the control panel there is a small amount of condensate in the bottom.
1/2/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello,

before we get to deep...does your thermostat require batteries?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but seems to be working fine

the blinking light is normal for the american standard/trane....when this happens is the exhaust fan running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no fan starts when powered on. I can use the thermostat to turn on the fan from the house

thank you,

do you mind removing top section of thermostat for a test?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

locate R and W....remove those 2 and twist together. Tell me what furnace does and code (blinks)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
twisted, no R but an RH. Its a fast steady blink, same as before
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
furnace is doing nothing

Thank you....now do you mind going to furnace for a similiar test?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there now

remove doors....tape safety door switch down.

Locate thermostat wires that attach to same type terminals as thermostat.

Use a paper clip or wire shaped in a U.....hold one end on R and the other end on W....tell me if exhaust fan starts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
blower does start when I do that

Thank you.

Now we have something between the furnace and thermostat that is holding off operation. We just did a direct bypass to furnace and it checked ok. The wire from R in furnace is our concern...we could have a safety switch (water safety like a pump) or the possibility of a bad thermostat wire.

Can you tell me what the R and W wire run to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
one end runs to the thermostat and the other to a condensate pump that is empty

thank you,

can you remove the wires from the pump....and just attach the wires direct together as if pump was not there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its pretty well insulated and looks soldered. is there an alternative?

the pump safety should be wire nutted and not soldered. Heere is what we know....the furnace works fine when thermostat wire bypassed.

That means something between the furnace and thermostat is wrong. Thermostat wire or a safety...

can you post a pic of the pump ?

I am sorry but I do not see pic...did you use the paper clip or attach files link?

I apologize as I was offline today. Do you still have an issue or did you by pass the pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was able to bypass the pump but it doesn't seem to have fully resolved the issue. Lots of condensate inside the unit and intermittently responding to thermostat control.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer