airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My carrier weather maker 9200 is blowing, but will not

Customer Question

My carrier weather maker 9200 is blowing, but will not ignite. I replaced the hot surface ignitor. However, I still can't see a glow from the ignitor. Is there a reset procedure that I need to follow?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

hello,

does your circuit board have a blinking light? or is this unit older than 20 yrs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a red light, but it is not blinking. It is just on.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

please try a cycle and tell me if the light blinks after failing to start...or if the system never tries and light stays solid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. How do I "try a cycle?"
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

turn thermostat to HEAT mode and turn setting higher than current room temp

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blower turns on. It is pushing air, but the ignitor is not glowing to ignite the gas. Red light is still on.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Do you mind removing top section of the thermostat to where we can see wiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

then tell me if you see terminals R and W

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way, when I placed the thermostat back on the wall, the red light on the furnace is now blinking.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

thank you,,,,the code is 2 digits. short blinks then long...can you tell me the pattern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 short blinks and 4 long blinks.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

thank you....and you are sure the system starts exhaust fan...there is no glow from ignitor....and then 34 appears

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ignitor just turned on and started flowing for a little over a minute. Then turned off. The gas did not seem to be flowing because nothing ignited...now the blinking pattern has changed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blinking pattern seems to now be 1-4.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

ok, first llets locate the sensor rod at opposite end of burners from ignitor.....clean this rod with steel wool and tell me if the system starts to run better

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Now the error code is 14. My manual says "ignition lockout" for 14.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

correct...is that the code after cleaning the flame sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

ok, when the flame happens....does it fully cross the burners all the way to the other side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just see the glow from the ignitor. No actual flame. I assume there is no flame because gas is not passing by the ignitor.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

ok do you have verified gas supply to the furnace? does the gas valve click?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gas supply seems fine.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

and does the gas valve click?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem is still not fixed
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

hello again.

I dont know what happened...but I ask if the gas valve clicked and then the response 3 hrs later said problem still not fixed. Does the gas valve ever click when ignitor is glowing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I'm confused about what piece is the gas valve. I see the manual gas valve that feeds the furnace. What other is there?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

the gas valve is what is attached in the gas pipe before the pipe goes into the burners.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only valve that is on the gas pipe before entering the burner is a manual valve. I have made sure it is open. Still getting a 1-4 error flash.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

First of all give me the complete model on furnace.It will be on a label inside above burners on right or left side panel and will begin with numbers 58.(EX. 58STA80). Next tell me if you have a volt meter for troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
58MXA040. No volt meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the error light is now on. No flash.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Turn power off to furnace then back on,Call for heat and tell me how far in sequence it goes and very first error code we get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blower turns on. Hot surface ignitor lit, but no ignition of gas. I assume that's because no gas was flowing through burners. First error code was 12. Then it went to 34.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK our next step is to locate the gas valve inside the unit. The valve outside is just a gas cock, not an actual valve. Now after locating gas valve on burner manifold, what we want to do is get a volt meter and check between the two wires at gas valve to see if we get 24 volts ac when igniter glows..See below

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to identify the gas valve. The gas pipe comes into the unit and into a black box before travelling up to the burners. That black box has a blue on/off switch. Is that the gas valve?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is it. If you can attach a picture I will show you where to check for the 24 volts.

If you have a paper clip icon on your page you can attach using that link.Or

You can upload the pictures using the tiny pic site .

Here is a link to the site.

http://tinypic.com/

Click on Browse , select the file from your folder.then click UPLOAD NOW.

They will give you a quote to enter in the box to verify you are a human.Enter the quote and click UPLOAD NOW

You will see your picture on right side of screen.

Then copy the link URL for email & IM

Paste that link here on the site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a volt meter. I'll need to get one. Is there anything we can do besides do the volt test?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Without a meter we are guessing.You can replace gas valve and control board ,but I would rather get a meter and determine the issue rather than guess.

You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not helping. Let's close out the discussion.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I understand.Toubleshooting almost always requires a meter for testing voltage.I could throw out a guess but would be less than professional to do so.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost.

Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.