Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Description of operation of the 2 stage gas valve furnace.

Customer Question

description of operation of the 2 stage gas valve furnace. when does the high heat kick in --- what signal determines it
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Are you using a single stage or two stage thermostat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DON'T KNOW --HOW DO TELL
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

1. Give me model on thermostat

2.Tell me what wires are connected to what terminals at thermostat

3.Tell me what wires are connected to what terminals in furnace.

The reason I need to know this in order to answer your question is that the furnace operates differently depending on which you are using. If using a two stage thermostat, thermostat decides when second stage heat is initiated and if using a single stage thermostat, furnace control board decides.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WIRES RED WHITE-BLACK-GREEN---EMERESON THERMOSTAT TYPE PF-0261
HAS INSIDE BM-P123300F AOOL ---REASON THIS CALL--FURNACE HEATS BUT SOME CYCLES ARE ERRATIC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Tell me what terminals on thermostat those red,white,black and green connect to

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE ARE GETTING AWAY FROM WHAT I WANT TO KNOW--WHICH IS WHAT ITEM CAN EFFECT THE UNUSUAL VARIATIONS IN THE FURNACE AS DESCRIBED WHITH THE THERMOSTAT AT A FIXED TEMP
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.

The operation of the thermostat is determined by how long it runs. Usually with respect to outside temperature. The thermostat remembers trends in running. High stage can be as little as 2 minutes or as high as 11 minutes before it kicks in. Trane and American Standard run about 9 to 10 minutes before it goes into high stage Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far I have checked furnace &thermostat labels the furnace is a 2 stage R96VA070231MS not the VA060-- they said it was. the thermostat is 2stage emerson .as far as I can tell they converted to single hi-speed fan output.i think they messed up originally.need call from RUSS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO CALL YET
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT IS GETTING LATE-WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS THAT A PATENT ANSWER ----DO WE CALL THIS UNTIL TO-MORROW--IS THERE A PROBLEM THAT WE CAN'T PROCEED

Sorry I had an emergency and could not get to phone till 2 am central time. Can not understand why they converted to high speed. Does furnace come on low fire when starts up. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RUSS-I'M A LOUSY TYPIST BEST WE TALK--LONG STORY.TRIED CALLING YOU LAST NITE TROUBLE ON PHONE LINES COULDN'T GET THRU.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as far as I can tell--no that was part of original problem

Call me today 9 o'clock CDT. Russ