How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brian HVAC Guy Your Own Question
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 953
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
Brian HVAC Guy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a reach-in freezer, r- 502, 1/3 hp, cap tube, bad

Customer Question

i got a reach-in freezer, r- 502, 1/3 hp, cap tube, bad compressor. want to change whole condensing unit and relocate within 10'. can i use a r-12 condensor of the same size? cap tube function is what im worried about.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

You can use the R12 condenser if it is also low temp but you will have to change the metering device. If it were me, I would remove the cap tube and install a proper TXV instead of trying to find, or using trial and error to replace the cap tube. It may not be easy to find a TXV that will work though. You may be better off using an R404a low temp condensing unit and you shouldn't have to change the cap tube. Either way you need to make sure you put a new filter drier in the system!