Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a ***** ***** 373L furnace put in service in 2001 (in

Customer Question

Customer: I have a ***** ***** 373L furnace put in service in 2001 (in conjunction with an air conditioning system). The fan in the forced air unit has stopped working.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Since the forced air unit is not blowing, neither the ac or heater is working. It is in my attic.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

Sorry that model number did not come through. What is the make and full model of the unit? And what are you needing help with, specifically?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bryant 373L
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I should be able to swap out the hvac fan motor
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

That is a partial model, but need the full model to help with parts, etc. And what are you needing help with, specifically?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
II 373L-35-21
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that better?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If the blower is not working, first thing to do is check for voltage to the motor. This can be done with a voltmeter set to volts AC. I'm not sure of your skill level, so let me know if you need further help with this part of the process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has current to the device
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If the unit is turned on to air conditioning, we should have 120 volts to the blower.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

This is measured across the neutral blower lead to the Black or high speed motor lead.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find and we can proceed from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has 120v
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

across the blower leads?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually at the dedicated electrical box next to the unit
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I know your unit has power. But if we are going to determine whether you have a bad board or a bad blower motor, I need to know if blower gets voltage on a call for cooling.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither the airconditioning or heating work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
specifically the fan does not engage the heating or air conditioning.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I understand that. But in order to determine what needs replacing here, I need this information. Otherwise I'd just be guessing.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

It could be a bad board and it could be a bad blower motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how expensive is it approximately to change the board and the motor?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

$450-500 or more. Not cheap.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I cannot get up in the attic right now. I will have to get back to you.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

That's no problem. Question will remain open. Post back when you can.