Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a carrier furnace that is showing error code 33. I

Customer Question

Hello. I have a carrier furnace that is showing error code 33. I opened the door on the back and flipped the switch on the side and it worked for a few minutes. I just did the same thing again, this time I can hear what I assume is the blower and see the heating element light...It'll catch flame after a while and then shuts down shortly after.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A 33 error is an open limit error. Did you reset the rollout switch to gt it running again or does it just start back up on its own? when was the last time you replaced the filter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the roll put switch is right above the flames with two wires and a switch. I did have to turn that to off and then back to on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last time I did it. It started then stopped then started on its own again. My husband changes the filters so I'm not sure when he did it last. I have removed the filter and was about to go get a new one when I notice the furnace wasn't working again
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Rollout looks like the attached pic. No ON/OFF just a button to push. It is just above the burners

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached is what I see above the burners. I do not see anything that looks like your image
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unless this is it. If so I did not have to push that button
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

That's the gas valve.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Yes that's the rollout. Then your issue is related to the limit control which is there to shut the furnace down if it gets too hot. One cause could be a dirty filter but you said it's changed regularly. Another possibility is a clogged AC coil if you have central AC. Another possibility is a bad limit or a bad connection. One other possibility is blocked vents in the house. So aside from changing the filter and moving the furniture away from the vents (if that's the issue) the other culprits would usually require a technician to pin down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the filters are changed regularly, my husband has a horrible memory. And I don't believe the vents are clogged. So I guess I'll call a technician
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You might try changing the filter first.