HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Got a problem with a Honeywell EMM 3 controller. Thermostats

Customer Question
Got a problem with a...
Got a problem with a Honeywell EMM 3 controller. Thermostats call for heat, the fan turns on, the EMM3 has a red light but I don't get any voltage going to the furnace to call for heat.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sometimes the system light will flash orange and all 3 zone lights will flash green. I only use 2 zones.
Answered in 2 days by:
12/31/2015
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello,

the zone control will connect a relay to furnace when calling...it uses the furnace power and not the zone power.

At the equipment terminals...if you have 24v at R and C.....and then at thermostat terminals (in zone panel) you vac 24v at W and C...and furnace does not work.....then you have a bad panel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced the panel with a Honeywell hz322 but still having problems with the heat call. Fan works fine but the heat does not turn on when the heat light turns red on the hz322. If I jumper the fan and heat wires together right at the furnace then the heat turns on.

do you have any extra wires in the cable?

And did you have 24 volts at C and W?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No voltage between C and W. I have red wire to Rh which is jumped to Rc, white to W, and green to G. With the fan running I don't get voltage between G and W either.

ok...

at the zone panel with a call for heat..

at the equipment terminals. Measure C to W.

THEN if 24v is at zone panel C to W.....tell me if there is 24v at ffurnace circuit board C to W

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright, with a call for heat the heat light turns red, the fan light turns green and the fan turns on. I don't get any voltage between W1/E or W2 (equipment) and C (power).

Well, lets start at hot wire.....when light is lit....is there 24v R to C on equipment terminals in zone panel

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yep, 24v at R and C at the power terminals.

ok lets clarify...there are termials R and C for power to the board...this runs the thermostats.

Then we have 24v delivered by the equipment..but this is at the equipment terminals (wires from furnace)

Which R terminal are you reading the 24v on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I measured that at the power terminals. For the equipment terminals my options are RH, RC, W1/E, W2, Y1, Y2, G, O, B DS/ BK.

if you take a paper clip shaped in a U.....and at equipment terminals you hold one end on R and other on W...does exhaust fan start in furnace?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does not but I hear what sounds like a relay clicking inside the electric duct heater. This is setup to run gas primarily with electric as a dual fuel option. The electric duct heater is wired between the hz322 and the main gas furnace.

so gas is first stage with electric duct heater as second stage or emergency?

And does r to w2 start gas furnace?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the main power for the electric heaters is always off so it only has the 24v going to it. The switch on the front is set to oil/gas instead of dual energy. I notice that the light next to oil/gas lights up when the hz322 calls for heat. R to W2 did not start the furnace.

ok , if the issue remained after replacing panel we have a breach in the gas wire...we know the R is Good and electric heat wire...r to g should start fan/blower.

we need to trace the thermostat wire that goes to W terminal in gas furnace and see if a bad wire nut, optional safety etc is between the furnace and zone panel

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I traced the wire as far as I could to and through the electric duct heater (Thermolec T-20U-DFC with a TH400 board). I don't see any physical breaks or loose wires.
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech