HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Our Rodgers 1f81-261 thermostat will not let us re program

Customer Question
Our White Rodgers 1f81-261...
Our White Rodgers 1f81-261 thermostat will not let us re program OR change the current temperature from the set program. We have changed the batteries, hoping to "re boot" but that didn't work. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
12/28/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Thermostat may have taken a power spike.Lets try a hardware reset first.

Press UP and DOWN arrows and TIME at same time.

We will go from here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We already tried that, and nothing happened! Bummer!

Ok there is one more thing you can try.As it is thermostat is worthless so if this doesn't work, the most that will happen is you still need to get another thermostat.(which you will have to do anyway if it doesn't currently operate.

There is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.

Note: Occasionally , this will not work and will even cause thermostat to start smoking.If so simply remove batteries.If thermostat is not working already, it is worthless anyway, so no harm done .I have seen it work about 20 per cent of the time. So if that is something you are comfortable doing would try it.Could save you having to buy another thermostat.Otherwise, just go ahead and replace it.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer