HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I was installing a new Nest Learning thermostat. I received

Customer Question
an error code that signified...
I was installing a new Nest Learning thermostat. I received an error code that signified that I wasn't receiving any power to the unit. I then went upstairs and realized that my upstairs thermostat is not receiving power either. I figure I blew a fuse. I went upstairs and I have a Honeywell Dual Zone controller. Is there a way I can reset that fuse? Thank you. Erik
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
12/27/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Eric I am not sure you can use the Nest with a zone system, Do you want to try to see if we can find the fuse so you can reconnect old thermosat? If so give me model on your air handler/furnace.

I am confident I can use the Nest with a zone system. I confirmed that before the purchase. Plus, I see that confirmed everywhere online. I will head into the attic to get you the model number. Stay tuned...

OK, The only problem people usually run into trying to use the Nest with a zoned system is that often zone dampers are controlled by transformers independent of the furnace transformer.In that case you are sending power from the furnace transformer on one wire and common to zone damper from a different transformer.

It is a Honeywell EMM-3 Electronic MiniZone Panel.

What is model on furnace or air handler that thermostat controls?

Since there is no power to my existing thermostat, doesn't that mean the panel is what is the problem? The Honeywell...

Remove front panel on furnace and look inside for a control board and see if there is a small automotive fuse on board

I can tell my fuse doesn't look like the fuse that you said that was blown because the wire in the middle is clean, but look at the upper left-hand corner of this picture and see that black spot, is that something I should be concerned about?
Is that what you were asking in your last post?
I don't have a volt meter, but should I just plug something else in to see if it is working?

Do you have anything else that operates on 24 volts? You can plug something into plug to make sure plug is working but that will not tell us if you fried the little plug in transformer

Plug works.If I can get a volt meter from a neighbor, what do I do with it?
Neighbor has one. So when I get back with it, just insert the meter into those two holes?

Yes on those two wires we should get 24 volts

Give me about 5-10 minutes...stay tuned...

Standing by

I'm back with the volt meter. Do I remove the wires and test in the holes? Simply touch the wires while in the holes? Sorry for the basic question...

Leave wires connected

You should be getting 24 volts there,If not you probably fried that little plug in transformer. When connecting the nest did you allow wires to touch while they were disconnected?

When you say plug in transformer, do you mean the Honeywell MiniZone device I just used the volt meter on?Maybe on the wires touching, but I had the breaker off to the HVAC...

The little transformer that supplies power to zone panel is what I am referring to.Did you have power off to it when changing thermostat?

I only had the HVAC off, not my plugs, never thought of that...Any way to test the transformer?If it is that, do they have those at Home Depot?

You have just tested it, You determined that the plug is hot by plugging something else in.You determined it is not sending 24v out to board with meter. Home depot may have these as they are pretty common transformers.

Great. Is it possible the actual board is fried or does that not happen?

It is possible, but lets hope not

Okay, Home Depot is closed. I will go first thing. Would it be okay to pick this up tomorrow if that doesn't work or do we close out now?

Lets wait until we get finished.Tomorrow is fine.

Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

Talk to you then.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer