airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Billy, I have a Rheem RRKA-A036JK06X. Tonight it stopped

Customer Question

Hi Billy, I have a Rheem RRKA-A036JK06X. Tonight it stopped working. I have checked that power is to the roof unit. The burner ignites, but no blower. I have tried to turn on blower continuous with the Thermostat unit, no blower. The LED on the control board inside the unit is on steady. Any suggestions on what to check? I have a good multi-meter and decent knowledge of components and function. Thank you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Lets find where the fan wires connect to board at HEAT and L2. See if we are getting power to motor on call for heat after burners light

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

See below

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, no need for a call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 5 wires to motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which have power to run and what voltage?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

On call for heat we should get 230 volts between L2 and HEAT terminals where wires connect to board 30 seconds after burners ignite

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will check a little later... warming up from trip outside
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know and we will go from here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning turned on t-Stat and all functioning.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Lets keep an eye on it for awhile before closing question.Make sure motor is nor overheating and stopping.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking possible sensor overheat? I know the air intake duct is kinked, will get that straightened out today. Did see LED on control board was on solid last night. Is that the normal condition?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The troubleshooting chart does not show anything for solid on.That is usually and indication we have power.If an over temp cuts it off light should blink 3 times and pause

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well today all is well. What should I look for in an over heating motor? Current draw? It does not look as though it would be difficult to replace.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If blower stops again, feel and see if it is hot. If so first I would check the capacitor to make sure it is not weak causing blower to overheat