Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My name is ***** ***** Montieth. My question is in regards

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Montieth. My question is in regards ***** ***** High Limit setting on my Honeywell Electronic Aquastat L7224/L7248. My fuel oil company has that set for 190 but my furnace installation company says it should be set around 160 and that setting it too high will burn off my anti-freeze. Who's right?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What do you need to know other than what I have indicated?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can't "burn" anti-freeze in a hot water heating system and if you set the hi limit too low your heating system won't keep your house warm on the coldest days. 190 is typical for systems with copper baseboard radiation. Other types of radiation typically have a lower design temp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have forced air heating through a Carrier system with a Rielle burner. What should the setting be?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It depends on the system design. 160 could be adequate if that's what the system was designed for. 190 isn't too hot but it may not be necessary to run the boiler at that temp which could be slightly less efficient if the system was designed for a lower temp. You'll know if the temp is too low if you can't keep your house warm on the coldest days.