HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Goodman gks9 and the pilot light is out. I followed

Customer Question
I have a Goodman gks9...
I have a Goodman gks9 and the pilot light is out. I followed the gas line and it goes into a Honeywell grey plastic box. This box has the gas on and off switch but no pilot light switch, what am I missing
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Your furnace has an electronic igniter(No pilot). Your furnace should have a control board in blower compartment.If furnace fails to light on call for heat e light should flash on board to indicate what failed.Look in blower and tell me if light flashes and if do pattern of flash.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im sorry man I don't know what you mean. what should I be looking at? the control board? all I see is 1 solid red light on the board

Steady light is normal.Does that change when thermostat calls for heat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think so, i removed the bottom panel to look at the board and it lets loose a switch that turns the furnace off, safety switch I'm guessing. my thermostat should be calling for heat right now but nothing is happening

Issue may be in thermostat.Lets do this. Using needle nose pliers, or a short jumper wire ,jump R and W terminals on funace board where thermostat wires connect. Push in that door switch and see if furnace will work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which are the thermostat wire, on this board of a thousand wires
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I think I found the thermo r and w wires, i used needle nose players, jumped them, turned the switch and the furnace started to hum and the red light flashes 3 times
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can see the small wheel on the what I think is the blower trying to turn, but doesn't it moves 1/8 inch then kinda seems like it gets stuck

Ok that is your problem That is the inducer motor.It has to come on and pull a vacuum on the pressure switch, Turn it by hand and see if it spins freely and if it will start with a bit of assistance spinning it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it spins freely, I can feel the vibrations in the wheel, and I tried spinning to kick start it and it seems like it wants to go but stops. If I help it it will spin 1/4 turn then stop, its like its clogged if that makes sense

If it spins freely by hand but will not start the motor I going to have to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I pulled off the retainer ring and pulled off the wheel, is there anything I can spray on the shaft to loosen it up?? if not I'll have to call a vac guy, what part do I tell him to bring what part do I tell him to bring

You will need a new induced draft motor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since I had to jump those wires to get to this point does the wall thermostat need changing as well

I would definitely have it checked. Could be as simple as low batteries if it uses batteries.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I don't know what just happened but when I screw the panel back on now I get the light flashing 6 times

6 flashes is a rollout switch. Should not come into play until furnace has lit. You can try to reset them by pushing button in center of each switch

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician