How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phil Your Own Question
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 6022
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
Phil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a new thermocouple put on a Rheem gas water heater.At

Customer Question

Customer: I had a new thermocouple put on a Rheem gas water heater.At that time the tech check showed no leaks. A week later I smelled gas and the outside of the tank around the gas valve was a large dark stain. A friend said that that was from high flame or too much gas. What is wrong, now?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I smell gas when we use the hot water briefly. So when it runs we smell gas. We never had this problem until the tech put the new thermocouple on. Is the gas set too high or is something loose?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Does the stain begin at the access panel to the burner chamber below the gas control valve?