HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Can I install a R419a condenser with an R-22 evaporator?

Customer Question
Customer: ***** *****: Can...
Customer: ***** *****: Can I install a R419a condenser with an R-22 evaporator?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 10 year old R-22 evaporator and would like to replace the outside condensing unit with a new R410A unit. Is that recommended and will it work right if I do it?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait a little while.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
12/21/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, you can do it, but the R-22 coil will be leak prone, especially if its older. R 410a runs at roughly twice the pressure that R-22 does,

You will also have to flush any of the mineral oil from the R22 evaporator, mineral oil tends to form clots when mixed with the oil used in R410a systems (POE, Polyol Ester Oil, an organic oil). You can buy a refrigerant flush kit from your local refrigeration wholesaler.

You will also need to change the refrigerant metering device to match your R410a system.

If you appreciate my input so far, locate the "rate your expert" link, and rate my work positively... we can go from there.

Lacking that I can spend days with a customer at my own expense,without any compensation. Rating does not increase your charges or close the question and it allows you unlimited follow up.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer