HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

If I lift the top of my home thermostat the #starts with

Customer Question
960. It has H/C...
If I lift the top of my home thermostat the #starts with 960. It has H/C on top left, fan on left. Up/down arrows on right. The bottom 4 buttons from left to right are Prog. - TimeTemp- Day- HoldEnd. I cannot set the temp!! Help please
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
12/20/2015
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Can you send picture of thermostat. Just attach to reply. Russ

Temp does n to move with up and down arrows

If you use arrows to move up or down, that temp doesn't stay

That is room temp. If you can still adjust temp high or lower it always go back to room temp. Do you have a gas furnace or heat pump. Russ

I have tried many combinations of hold-set-etc...

Gas furnace or electric heat.

Electric heat pump

Does fan work in on position.

I just pressed fan on...don't hear it, but temp isn't high enough to initiate heat...which is what I can't adjust to make warmer

PressH/C and up and down buttons at same time for a couple seconds to reset thermostat . Try to set temp

Can't. Every time you press H/C it swithches from heat to cool to emht to off. Can't press simultaneously

Pull batteries and turn them around and insert them for 5 seconds. Pull and install normal. Try to adjust temp.

Followed instructions for batteries, how do you adjust temp? I can go all the way to 80, press hold and I still won't hear it come on. I think it is set in some kind of screwy morning program mode

If you press hold it should come on. It does have a five minute delay. Press fan to on an go to air handler and listen to see if fan is running. Russ

With thermostat having batteries you do not know if air handler is working. Russ

Put on fan, waited 5 min, no activity- fuses all on

Do you have a voltmeter. Russ

My husband does...I'll have to wait until he gets home to see if it's in his vehicle...This is his mom's house with the trouble

Ok. If air handler is not coming on it may be a power issue at air handler. Check breakers to air handler first. We need to know if we have voltage at thermostat and air handler. Just let me know. Russ

Still no heat though*

I see lights are on. Is fan running. If it is check outside unit and see if it running.

Nope. Outside fan does not turn on. Tried to turn on ac. Still no dice.

It is calling for outside unit. Check breaker on outside unit first. If it is not tripped. Open access panel on outside unit and see if the contractor. Large black relay is energized. See if middle is pulled down. Russ

That is disconnect. Breaker may be under the meter. The access panel is on outside unit. It needs to be removed and see if the relay is energized. Russ

Assuming the breaker in the garage is the proper breaker (it is labeled 1-heat 2-heat 3-a/c comp 4-a/c comp) *sorry disregard 2nd pic it's the cable* the first pic is of the access panel, yes?

Yes open panel that says huron. You will see a black relay. You will see contacts. See if they are pulled in. You can take a screw driver and push center. Russ

I will wait for my husband and daylight.
Thankfully it's warm tonight in Florida!

I am near Pensacola. Just back with me. Russ

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer