Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a 2-ton heat pump, bought in 2008. The thermostatic

Customer Question

I have a 2-ton heat pump, bought in 2008. The thermostatic control no longer works, that is, it does not shut off the system in either heating or cooling mode when the set temperature is reached. The unit is type QCOH24A. The local repairmen have told me they think the temperature sensor is at fault, but that part is no longer available. Can you help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

I can help.

please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel, the picture needs to be taken from straight on, in very good light.

You can use the paper clip- icon at the right end of the tool bar at the top of this dialog box to attach it here.,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

If you have an error code showing, tell me what the code read out is on the wiring diagram or a sticker next to the diagram please.

If there is no paper clip-icon, look for the '+attachfiles'link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

We can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Tell me please what the service people quoted you for a complete repair.... I can tell a lot from that.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

If the service people will guarantee a fix for under $250 that would be a decent enough deal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sears Home Maintenance said they can't repair this system, but offered to replace it (entirely). A local guy says he thinks the sensor will need to be replaced, but hasn't been able to find a source for the part, hence, no estimate.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Is Sears Home Maintenance offering to replace the system free? Or do that want money. Tell me two things please, how much money does sears want, and how old is the system.

We can go from there.