How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phil Your Own Question
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 6022
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
Phil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We're trying to locate a conversion kit to change an old

Customer Question

Customer: We're trying to locate a conversion kit to change an old ***** ***** Furnace from natural gas to LP. We cant' find it anywhere around the furnace & ***** ***** said they no longer support it. Its a 1975. There are kits on ebay, etc, but how do I know which one would work?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Furnace Model 8632 , Series 786
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There are 3 primary components for a conversion: pilot burner (or orifice), main burner orifice and a gas valve set up for propane. The gas valve is generic as is (generally) the pilot so you need to find the proper main burner orifice(s). I don't know what's available on eBay. I'd suggest you remove a main burner orifice then compare it to the eBay listing and/or contact the seller.