Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Armstrong Air 10 &12 Seer gh Efficiency Heat Pump.

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Armstrong Air 10 &12 Seer High Efficiency Heat Pump. Unit is about 10 years old I think.. House is 10 yrs old, we purchased in 2014. When I turn the heat on the unit is freezing about half way up the wire guard on the outside of the unit. Does it everytime it runs...is this normal ?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

This is not really normal, but indicates that the unit is low on charge. When is the last time you had the charge checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea. We purchased the house in 2014, unit was checked by inspector but was not cold so not sure the heat portion was checked.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

This is what would need to be done. The charge can be checked by a technician using a manifold guage set. I'm guessing it's low on charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That it what I was thinking first also but as new to the area wanted to at least have a game plan before I call someone out.
Thank you so much for the info.. Will start there. Have a great evening
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.