Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Furnace won't light blinking 2 flashes

Customer Question

Furnace won't light blinking 2 flashes
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Sorry to hear about your issues with your furnace. In order to help, need you to do a couple things for me. I need the full model number (should be on a tag inside the unit). Also, there may be a flash code "legend" posted down near the board somewhere. If you can find, let me know what it says for a 2 flash code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mpga100b4b....2 flashes ..flame failure lockout
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing bad ignitor!
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Could be bad ignitor or dirty flame sensor.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Are the burners lighting at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they aren't. ..gas valve opens to let the gas in ...but ignitor is not glowing at all!
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the Honeywell Smart valve on this unit or just a standard ignitor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can hear the,gas in the burner tubes ....when the
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I tell
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Does your gas valve look similar to this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks to me just like a standard ignitor...ceramic..about 4 inches long
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it does not!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's Honeywell but not that style!
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, that would not be the Honeywell Smart valve. If you hear hissing, but no orange glow from ignitor, then more than likely it is a burned out ignitor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I thought ..I can see what looks,to be a little,hairline Crack in it!
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yup, that was my next suggestion, look for a small crack!

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

There are many online sites that sell Ducane parts such as this one. You will need to replace the ignitor. Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need additional help on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.