HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Trane XE 1000 that after a short run time there is

Customer Question
a squealing noise in the...
I have a Trane XE 1000 that after a short run time there is a squealing noise in the heat pump. I thought it was the fan motor and changed it but noise still there, any ideas? Compressor?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
12/4/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, tell me when exactly you hear the squealing noise and for how many seconds, is it just after the compressor turns off, after it finishes a heating or cooling cycle? or is it all the time.

We can go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shortly after the heat pump kicks on, say maybe 30 seconds to a minute. It continues until when the heat cycle shuts off.

Thanks, If it is not a fan noise, then it is either from the compressor or the 4 way valve mounted next to the compressor (about twice the size of a mans hand with 4 pipes attached).

You can buy a mechanics stethoscope for $25 or so at most Auto Parts stores, and use that to track down the source of the sound... or you use a screw driver and put the plastic handle against your ear.

Let me know what you can discover.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Guess I'll call a service company, this was not a lot of help for $28.

Hello again, so far we have just begun a much longer trouble shooting process, there is a very good chance that I can coach you through a diagnosis the might save you substantially on repairs or avoid the repairs entirely... some of these noises are common as a unit ages and do not necessarily cause any long term problem.

Good luck with what ever you wish to do however. On this end however I am willing to go on as long as it takes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The noise sounds like it is coming from the compressor, turned up thermostat so heat pump would run longer. Noise starts at initial start of heat pump, like a bird chirp of car fan belt squeak. After a long run time 10 - 12 minutes it seems to become less obvious.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a 16 year old heat pump and has never given any problems and only issue was circuit board in furnace and just basic check over and freon top several years ago.

Hello again, the compressor has a metal tag welded to it, 3" x 6" or so, it is stamped with a bunch of numbers and the brand name of the compressor, very often either 'copeland' or 'techumseh' there is a lesser chance of some other brand,

Get me all the numbers on the plate and will look it up to what type of compressor it is, at age 16 it was built when both piston type and scroll type compressors were being built, a worn scroll would make a chirping noise... if that is the case however, there is nothing you can do about it, and it might last another 5 years that way.

Let me know, we can go from there,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is dark and it is running, at this time I am not going to pull the top off to locate the tag. Maybe tomorrow.

That will work.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer