Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My furnace starts the cycle but won't light. I checked the

Customer Question

my furnace starts the cycle but won't light. I checked the igniter it has continuity the next item I am concerned with is it seems the draft inducer motor does not come on can I check the motor separately?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the draft fan doesn't run nothing else will happen. You need to check to see if the fan is getting voltage. Probe the leads to the fan. If it is getting power and it's not running then a new fan would be in order. You should jump the R & W terminals at th furnace terminal strip if you're not sure the thermostat is calling in the furnace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I probed the leads at the disconnect coming from the control panel and get no reading. Wouldn't that be more of a control panel issue not sending voltage
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you have a call for heat you should have voltage to the fan. If you don't then the board is suspect. A bad connection is always a possibility but if you probed at the board then that should rule out a connection issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to isolate the fan and run 110 to it to see if it is still operable
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You can try hot wiring the fan but if you don't have voltage from the board it's unlikely the fan is faulty as well. You'll have to improvise the line voltage connection to the fan if you still want to try this.