HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a pro-tech model 610 thermostat. Currently it is not

Customer Question
working properly. When I set...
I have a pro-tech model 610 thermostat. Currently it is not working properly. When I set it to a temperature like 70 or higher it goes straight to 62. I believe 62 is the default temperature. Additionally, the heat comes out as cool air instead of heat and their is a quick on and off of the system. Does not stay on very long at all. Please help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
12/1/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the thermostat most likely needs to be replaced.

However, you can try removing the batteries, waiting 5 minutes, then replace the batteries backwards, wait 5 minutes with the thermostat turned on, then reinstall the batteries in the correct positions.

That has about a 20% chance of solving the problem.

We can go from there.

I have changed the batteries already. Do they need to be a certain type like lithium?
The thermostat is approx 9 yrs old. If I find I do need to replace it, can I get a different type thermostat or do I need to buy the same model?
My home was built in 2008. Thermostats usually last longer than anything else in the home like 25-35 years right?

Hello again, it should have standard AA batteries in it. Let me know if that is what was in it or not.

The old style mercury bulb thermostats will last indefinitely.. 50 years is not uncommon... it is just that these were replaced by *electronic *programmable thermostats, those generally go 10 years or longer.

The Pro Tech brand has not seen much distribution at all for some reason, perhaps due to a higher failure rate, but I do not know why for sure.

If you can remove the front of the thermostat and access the thermostat wire connections and tell me which color wire is attached to each terminal I can tell you what thermostat replaces it.

I also need to know if you have a heat pump system, that runs the outside unit in the winter as well as the summer, or a more conventional system, electric cooling unit outside and a gas furnace inside.

Let me know, we can go from there.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer