HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Rheem Criterion not heating and green LEDs are on.

Customer Question
I have a Rheem Criterion...

I have a Rheem Criterion II RGPH-12NARJR that is not heating. The blower runs continuously even with the G wire disconnected.

The two green LED's are ON, but the yellow (flame) LED is off and does not come on at all.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
12/1/2015
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Have you turned power off to furnace to reset faults. If not turn off and back on. If it lights and goes back off.

The flame sensor needs cleaning. It is located next to last burner. Long rod inserted into flame. Clean with sandpaper or steel wool. Let me know.

Yes I have unplugged the unit and re-plugged several times. No it does not light and go off. It never tries to light. Green lights go on as soon as door switch is closed- no blinks. Yellow light never comes on.

Ok. Lets test thermostat. Open door to blower compartment you will see furnace board. Place a wire between R and W and see if furnace fires. We are bypassing thermostat. Make sure door switch is pushed in. Green light means control is powered. Let me know. Russ

I did that- no change. Also disconnecting G wire from Thermostat does not stop fan.

Both lights on with fan running all the time and no fault codes. Indicates bad board. If tin was limit or pressure switch you would get a fault code flash. Russ

No- that was my conclusion before- I was hoping you might have a better suggestion how to get it to work.

Sorry according to flow charts bad board. You jumped the R and W nothing happened. You should have at least had fault code on board. Sequence of operation is the thermostat calls for heat.

The small induce blower starts for 20 seconds, igniter glow for 10 seconds and gas valve opens. Any problem with any of the sequence the fault code will start blinking.

Thanks,

Russ.