HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a goodman furnace that will not ignite the inducer

Customer Question
Hi I have a goodman...
Hi I have a goodman furnace that will not ignite the inducer turns on the gas valve opens but not glow from igniter I put a new igniter In and still nothing
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
11/30/2015
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Do you have 120 vac to the igniter just before/while the gas valve is open?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No sure dont have meter

You need a meter to confirm the likely culprit here. The only other thing you can do (without a meter) is to check your connections to the igniter, at the board (disconnect and reconnect)and where it plugs in to the igniter. If it's not a bad connection then the likely culprit is a bad board and I wouldn't spring for a new board without checking the voltage first

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so it is either bad connection or a board i will get a meter and check are boards expensive

Generally a few hundred more or less

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok it is an old furnace from 1993 would it be worth it

It's marginal. You can expect to get 20 years out of a furnace. Beyond that it's usually on borrowed time and the repair bills will mount as the years progress. If it won't break the budget you might want to get some estimates for a new furnace then decide

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok last question so since i changed the igniter the only other problem it could be os bad connection or bad board

Yes, if you're sure the gas valve is opening. Sequence is: draft fan runs> draft pressure switch proves adequate draft> ignitor glows >gas valve opens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great i can hear the gas valve thanks for you help

You're welcome.

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor