airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

The heater will only work every now and then. Once it warms

Customer Question

The heater will only work every now and then. Once it warms up, it will shut completely off. All lights got out. And then it may not come back on for a few days.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

This is most likely with an over temperature limit switch cutting out.Does the blower ever come on?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

What is the model on your heater?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the blower does come on and appears to working correctly. Then it will just cut off.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

What is model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work right now and I'm trying to get you the model number
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK I can give you more specific things we might check once Iam sure exactly which heater you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model # ***** It also had a ID# *****
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. These heater have a temperature sensor that shuts the elements down if they are getting too hot.Often if blower is dirty or for any reason not moving air across elements fast enough, the limits open and shut them down,. You may also actually have a defective sensor that is telling it to shut down prematurely. Have you opened and checked the blower to make sure it is clean?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Take a look at this video.It will provide you a good idea of how to inspect.(Although may be slightly different )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljqkHRYzSWI

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My company security will not let me view that other web site and you tube says that video doesn't exist. Sorry
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out to see if another expert may help.

I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk and delay getting assistance..Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.

Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.

If no expert can help and you are unsatisfied, we can request a refund of your deposit.