Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

It's about my furnace not starting the flame
, it's

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, and it's about my furnace not starting the flame
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it's WeatherMaker 8000 and I get the error code 21
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i can wair wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Most heating and air conditioning questions require some diagnosing of the specific situation.Very few are one line asnwers .To be professional and provide you with an accurate answer may require me gathering some details such as model number on units and specifics on the issue at hand.To tell you to replace a part or exactly what is wrong with your unit without knowing this information would not be doing you justice ,would be less than professional on my end and a guess at most.Please provide information I ask for so that I can provide accurate answers to your specific equipment and situation. First give me the complete model on furnace as the 8000is just a series.

It will be on a label on inside furnace panel just above burners.Remove panel to burner compartment and look inside. The model number will help me give accurate assistance for your specific unit.

Below is a link showing where to find label with model number:

http://i.imgur.com/EkrwIdi.jpg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the model # ***** serial 1499A4528
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when engaged, the inducer kicks in for some 10 sec .. then no flame and the code 21 which reads "GAS HEATING LOCKOUT - Control will not auto-reset
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK. Now does the inducer stop or does it keep running? The 21 is a gas valve lockout.Do you get any other code prior to that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i already know that much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need a procedure to troubleshoot the problem
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Follow this guide. Once vent motor (inducer comes )on, it should stay running the entire heating cycle.The inducer comes on, igniter lights, burners light, then blower comes on and all run except igniter until thermostat is satisfied, Then burners go off and blower and inducer goes off in normal operation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's not what's happening. What you're telling me is correct operation. My situation is "error code", which means incorrect operation. "Once vent motor (inducer comes )on, it should stay running the entire heating cycle.The inducer comes on, igniter lights" .. nothing happens and error code 21
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I diagnose the gas valve?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Doyou have a volt meter to see if we are getting 24 volts to the gas valve?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The chart I sent shows what to do if it fails along the path I mentioned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a VM. Which chart? I haven't received one. I would appreciate a pic of what i should test for 24v.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Here is the chart again, Let me know if you can open it.I will get you a pic of gas valve

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Click here:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are three terminals going into the gas valve switch designation-wire color, C - green, Hi - brown, M - blue
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

You should get 24 volts between C and HI and between C and MP when igniter lights

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

It has been awhile since replied.Just wanted to let you know I am leaving office for the evening.Will check back in tomorrow. We can go from here