HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My echelon 9 won't heat. the repairman just replaced the

Customer Question
hi, my coleman echelon 9...
hi, my coleman echelon 9 won't heat. the repairman just replaced the inducer motor, and now it won't heat! I tried the autopilot, turning off the gas for 5 mins, then on. still nothing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
11/26/2015
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 2 years ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Does the induce motor come on?

the inducer comes on, then the fan comes on,blowing very cold air (the house is cold) continuously. There's a window to view the flame or pilot and/or little lights, we think, and we never saw any flame... I'm wondering if the tech put the furnace into a test mode and left it? maybe? it worked beautifully before the tech came.
it's a coleman echelon 9.c series furnace

What are the lights flashing on the board when it fails and can you see if the ignitor has power to it when the inducer fan runs?

without a call to heat, the top BIG light flashes green, and a tiny strobing green light below. Now we will do a call for heat. after the call for heat, two yellow flashes from the upper big light, over and over, and the lower tiny strobing green like before.
after a minute, the big light is flashing red, with a large green light below it that remains on.
interestingly, the inducer motor did NOT come on immediately when the furnace was plugged in.. after the tech left yesterday the new inducer motor would NEVER turn off and the FAN would never turn off.
Happily that seems to have stopped. However, still upper big red lamp flashing, lower big green on solid. no heat yet. all fans going strong.

What error code is flashing, match the error up with the list on the backside of the furnace panel there should be a list

For the steady red, we have a possibility of 12 problems. For the flashing green, it says "factory speed-up mode". There are two different lights, and we don't know if this list applies to them both?

There should be a flash pattern to count for the code

if it was in lock-out mode, how would we get it out of that? Since the furnace worked beautifully before the tech came to replace the inducer motor, I'm guessing it's something that locked up, or got reset...

Shut the power off to the unit for 5 full minutes and turn it back on.

ok, we've pulled out the plug.

ok sounds good

we took off the lower door to see if there were any error codes down there. do we have to put it back on, or can it work with that lower door off? We took off the upper door, but our finger's on the door sensor, so it's oblivious on that one.

Put the door back on

all of them?

Just the lower one

we're plugging it back in, and a red light went to flashing yellow (top)
lower is strobing green...
I could text you a photo if you like?

DOes it match any error code?

the big fan started off, and it is flashing red 5 times. we have to check the bottom door again to see what 5 flashes means!
ok, 5 flashing red lights means: rollout switch or blocked condensate switch is open.

Ok check the rollout sensors around the burner housing one may be tripped and then check and see if anything on the condensate lines are blocked. I will be back in a bit I have to go to a dinner party

we dont know what you mean... dinner party???
This isn't really working. what is a burnout sensor? how do we know if it is tripped?
anyway, feel free to contact me when/if you want to pursue this. I'm going to turn on the portable electric heater I've got. While I hope we can get this running, your suggestions of checking rollout sensors for being tripped makes no sense and you'll have to describe what you're talking about. I'm not an HVAC person. I'm a 65-yr-old woman with a faulty furnace.
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH