Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Experience:  hvac technichian at performance plumbing and heating
89712187

I clogged my unit filled tank changed filter and nozzle and

Customer Question

I clogged my unit filled tank changed filter and nozzle and now having black smoke come out everywhere
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this, first lets start at the beging what was the original problem? was it smoking before you changed the filter and nozzel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran low on oil sucked up some sludge shut it off then filled tank changed filter and nozzel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaned out unit with vacuum cleaned off everything . I noticed the igniter points burnt up a bit

ok did you check the flow from the tank to make sure the line is not cloged and did you replace the strainer, how long did you wait after filling the tank before you started the burner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waited a few hours to turn it on. Checked the line bled it at the pump seemed steady

did you check it out of the nozzle line, if not i would check that it should be a steady stream until it locks out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaned that out it was good. Lit it up and sputter and making the same amount of smoke

was the flow out of the nozzle line good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if you were not getting any sputtering from the nozzle line the flame should not be sputtering, does the flame cut out? did it get good pressure out of the nozzle line? it should be a really strong stream.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flame doesn't cut out good pressure out of the line

and was the flame sputtering or does it rumble alot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a .65 b nozzle and it is burnING off the excess right now

what nozzle was in there before and did you replace it with the same nozzle, same gallons angle and patern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Saw,a old nozzel container next to unit. Went to home depo bought a 65. B put in and it's not sputtering not blowing black smoke,and has gone up to temperature

it is not smoking now and running good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea man lol did that unit adjust over time to that?

it is possible that there may have been alot of excess oil in the chamber from before that takes some time to burn off but i would like to make sure you have the correct nozzle in there. what was the angle of the old one and angle of the new one

Did you have any more questions? If not I would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars and thank you for using just answer