Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Have a burn ham series 2. Has stooped working twice over

Customer Question

Have a burn ham series 2. Has stooped working twice over last two days.. Was the vent not moving. Could tap vent and it would work and boiler would fire. Today vent stuck. Helped it turn and now activates with heat call. Electric pilot starts and pilot flame starts but ingnitor still sparks and burners do not engage.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim, an HVAC expert here to help you resolve your issue. Please provide as much information as you can. Also, I may depend on you to be my "eyes and ears" since I'm not there onsite. At the end of our dialog, when you're satisfied with the answer, you will have a chance to rate my service. Please wait until then. This is HSI ignition, correct? Hot surface ignitor? If so, try cleaning the flame sensor.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

This can be "shined up" with some steel wool or emery cloth.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that. I guess I need to take the igniter off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pilot does ignite but the burner does not
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

That's because pilot flame is not being sensed by flame sensor.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Is this the pilot system you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see a flame sensor. What I have is an electric sparked with a shield on the back and a hammerhead shapes piece in front of it. The ignite Sparks and the flame comes of from the side of the hammerhead. The flame goes for a few seconds. Usually the the burner fired.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Is this the pilot system you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't understand the question
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Q3450C1185-Pilot-Burner-for-natural-gas-with-a-BCR-18-orifice-left-single-tip-style-C-mounting?gclid=CK2fl87LqskCFRApaQodUNwENA

Please enter this web address above into your browser and tell me if this is the type of pilot system you have?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation

I've installed and serviced Burnham boilers for over 30 years. Do you still need help? It sound like you have a couple problems. First is your vent damper. It sounds like you need a new one. Get an aftermarket damper since an OEM damper is usually more than twice the cost. Your other problem is due to a flame sensing problem. Your ignition control isn't getting a signal from the flame sensor in the pilot flame. The electrode in the pilot burner that generates the spark doubles as the flame sensor. You can try carefully cleaning it off with fine aluminum oxide sand paper. If that doesn't work and your connections are good then the next step is to replace the pilot burner assembly.