HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

We have a 2009 RHFE-556WTA VENT WALL FURNACE and last year

Customer Question
we could not use it...
We have a 2009 RHFE-556WTA VENT WALL FURNACE and last year we could not use it as it kept showing ignition failure. We couldn't find a repair service . Suggestion? We live in Oswego, IL
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
11/23/2015
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

hi i am dan i can help you with this. first there is a flame sensor in the bottom near the burner that probably just needs to be cleaned. are you able to remove the panels and access the burners?

we are doing it now

ok it will be to the left of the gas valve pointing down into the burner. it is just a metal rod with a ceramic insulator around it and a single wire connected to it. remove it and clean it with a piece of sand paper or steel wool.

We are still looking for it...
Is it the flame rod?
Ok we have located it but need to unscrew it to get it out?

yes there should be 1 sometimes 2 screws holding it in

Ok we have done as you suggested. Steel wool etc. now lost the screw trying to return it ...

ok try to find the screw if not any little screw about that size should work as long as it holds tight. i would usually use a sheetmetal screw and then turn it back on and we will see if that fixed it.

ok we turned it on and it's gone to #12 the burner turned off but the fan is going
Fan turned off and PF flashing

did the flame ignight?

It did then turned off and dashed 12 and showed a flame icon then fan came on and then turned off and now PF. I redid it and it is now flashing 12 and a flame icon again...

ok and the flame sensor is clean nice and shinny and reconected with the wire and installed above the burner?

ok then there are 2 posiblities, one is the flame sensor is bad or the wire coming off it to the control. the other is the control board is bad. it would require a meter that can read Ma to determine what is bad but if you would like to try fixing it i would start with replacing the flame sensor and make sure the wire is good. if it still doesnt work then the control is bad.

where do I get the service man to replace the sensor. So I am basically back where I started?

if you want to have a company fix it for you you can search for any HVAC or mechanical contractors around your area. or you can order the part yourself and replace it.

Okay.... Well I guess thanks!

ok, if you have any more questions please let me know, if not i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service today by selecting one of the 5 stars. thank you for using just answer.

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician