HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Burnham chg150 boiler -- I get an E40 error more and more

Customer Question

burnham chg150 boiler -- I get an E40 error more and more frequently and need to reset to restart boiler. I did some research and found that that error comes from flue gas temp sensor circuit open or defective sensor. I took out the sensor itself and cleaned it, but it still happens... the electrical circuit seems to be ok. I need help.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Replace that sensor they go bad all the time and it will work fine again.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was my first instinct, but I purchased the part off this site: http://www.supplyhouse.com/Burnham-101015-01-Flue-Gas-Temperature-Sensor-for-CHG-Freedom-Boilers -- it looks nothing like what I found on the boiler, therefore I opted to just clean the existing one and put it back. Would you be able to send me a picture and a part number, and maybe a place where to find it. I do have access to a local hvac supply, but when I asked they pointed me to something else.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Should be this one

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, that's the one I purchased... but when I go to replace it, unless I misunderstood where this thing is located (below the lower vestibule?) the existing sensor looks different, with a long (about 3-4 inch) metal stem. Are you familiar with these boilers?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes like this one?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is more like it...
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Can you send me picture of yours?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me get back to you -- have an emergency in the family and need to leave -- I think I will purchase that one, replace it and see how it goes
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

ok cool!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had to do my own research to find out the part number -- you sent me the wrong one -- it is 101518-01
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I needed the serial number I was trying to see which style you had. You had to go so I was just waiting until you got back.