BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I am replacing my thermostats and Zoning board with

Customer Question

I am replacing my Bryant thermostats and Zoning board with Honeywell WiFi Thermostats and a Honeywell HZ322 TrueZone zoning board. The Bryant thermostat, furnace and A/C unit use a A, B, C, D wire connections. The Honeywell equipment uses 5 wires (R,C,W,Y,G). I have 6 wires going to all the Thermostats and to the furnace.
My questions are 1) because the wires going to the furnace is currently only using 4 of the 6 wires; A,B,C,D, what connections do I make between the Zoning Board and to the furnace now that I am using the Honeywell TrueZone? The furnace has the A,B,C,D connection and also has the connector bar with the following screw connector: W2, Y1, DHUM, G, Com 24V, W/W1, Y/Y2, R. The Zoning board connectors are RH, RC,(which is jumper) W1/E, W2,Y1, Y2, G, O, B, DS/BK.
The second question is do I need to change any of the wires that are going between the Furnace and the A/C unit? They are currently using the A,B,C,D connections.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

before we proceed I want to make sure you understand the difference in the tthermostats..are you aware the ABCD is a communicating thermostat which operates the entire system based on efficiency? And the wifi does not?

In short, are you aware that this will decrease efficiency?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not. I wanted to have the wifi capability so I can monitor the temp in the house when i am not at home. Is there a different thermostat that I can get that will have the communication capability?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

No there is not. It is a proprietary thermostat designed for specific system. While a thermostat like the wifi just sends an on/off signal..the communicating constantly streams info back and forth..

If the temp is reacting by 1/10th degree increments the system can gear up or down to find the exact point for optimum efficiency.

The standard thermostat is like a light switch..it turns it off and on.

There are pros and cons to both..You must decide which suits more. The highest efficiency that the equipment can run....or the convenience to "check in" to see what is going on.

I am more than willing to assist you in the wiring, I just find it prudent to let you know what the change will do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** think for right now the WiFi is more important because we lose power so much.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all. But keep in mind the wifi will not do anything for outages

Now, we need to go into the equipment. We need to remove wires from a,b,c,d.

We want to move those wires from the communication block and mount on R, Y, W, G And C (if gas furnace with ac)

Then at zone control we mimic the same connections, and likewise the thermostats

The main key is to make sure we have C (Com) wire now as the abcd did not use one.

Any questions at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honeywell told me that I needed to have a stand alone 24v transformer. so I have added the transformer. I would like to use that transformer to power the zone board and other thermostats. Does that make sense?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but that is a separate set of terminals to power the board.

In this system the thermostats run off the separate transformer...and the board translates by closing relays direct to the equipment. Do you know where the transformer inputs are?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know where the transformer inputs are on the zoning board are, is that is what you mean?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Yes..the transformer feeds R and C 24v input.

The board is designed so the thermostats run off the transformer 24v and the equipment runs off its own 24v

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have RH, RC, W1/E,W2,Y1,Y2,G,O,B, AND DS.BK on the zoning board, which of these Do I install on the furnace which has W2,Y1,DHUM,G,COM 24V,W/W1,Y/Y2,AND R?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

rc rh should have a jumper. and that goes to furnace R

W1/E goes to W/W1

Y1 goes to Y1

G goes to G

Is this a gas furnace with ac? and no heat pump or backup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a gas furnace with A/C and no heat pump. do I need to change the wires for the A/C they are using the ABCD connections?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

sorry lost connection.

In your outdoor unit...do you have Y and C connection spots? At furnace we will use only Y and C for ac. Of course all staging and modulation will cease

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the a/c there is O,Y2,Y1,W1,C,R. that is what I see on the wire diagram.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

may I have the model number to confirm please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
598BH036-A is the A/C. the furnace is a 355MAV
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

wow, this is a high end 2 speed ac unit...along with the variable speed indoor unit.

Being 2 speed you will need a Y2 wire at thermostat to zone board..and a y2 wire from board to furnace..and a y2 wire to outdoor unit

Going out side you will need more wires....give me a moment to confirm as I have never dumbed a 2 speed communicating down...just a moment

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

ok to outside you will need R, C, Y and Y2 run to corresponding terminals inside. Do you see these in the outdoor unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i see it on the wire diagram on the inside panel of of the a/c
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Great...so furnace to ac =R,C,Y,Y2

Furnace to zone board R to rc/rh

w1 to w1

y1 to y1

y2 to y2

g to g

Thermostats we covered. The ac will likely drop from a 16 seer to a 13-14 efficiency rating like a single stage 13 seer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow.. what a difference. lucky we don't use the a/c that much. so i guess i need to do some more wiring, can i leave this open till i change the wires tomorrow?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

no problem...just respond when ready

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

keep this on your end until ready or the system will force a response on my end. So do not respond until ready to proceed

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back. when I went to configure the first thermostat, it wanted to know if I had a single or two stage. it also said that if I had a two stage w and w1 needed to be wired. Do I need to change any of the wires? Also, the zone board asked if I wanted to purge yes or no I said yes. What does that mean? Both of the Zone baffles are open and making noise. I don't remember them making noise. Should they be doing that? I haven't changed the wires on the a/c yet, its snowing. Will that effect anything if I don't change them till later?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

you will put single stage heat.Is the thermostat set for fan on or auto?

When you say noise I am afraid I do not know what the noise is? Is it air noise, humming etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the thermostat back to single stage. Fan is set on auto. the noise is coming from the damper motor area. right now both zone dampers are in the open position. I don't recall what position they are in.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Run heat cycle...tell me what the dampers do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
zone 1 stayed open and zone 2 closed
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

and I assume it was zone 1 that called for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

That is correct as your new zone control keeps all zones powered open...and on a call it closes unneeded dampers.

Powered open is the normal position...powered closed is if one calls for use and others do not.

You are likely hearing a hum of the motor being energized open

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hearing the hum all the time when the thermostat was not calling for heat. is that normal for power to be going to the damper when there is no load requirement. I thought that power was only applied when it needed to be closed.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

not on all zone boards..you now have a powered open..and then dampers close when another calls.

It depends on type of zone sytem and that is how this one works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the hum is normal under all conditions? So I guess i am good now. The last questions are can I wait till till the weather is better to rewire the A/C and if the thermostat is capabler of handleing a 2 stage furnace and A/C should I have wired the w1 and w2 connectors?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

no w1 is fine now that the unit is not being used as a variable unit. It is now one stage. so only W1 is needed.

And the hum is just the motors being activated...much like a door bell transformer or furnace transformer humming.

If you have issues come summer time just drop back by

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand the hum being there when it is being asked to change position, but shouldn't the hum stop after it reaches it open or closed position and not all the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the damper motor temperature is 110. that can't be right
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Your dampers...are they spring return or motor open and motor closed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are apparently motor controlled. that's the temp on the motor and I don't have the heat set for it to come on. I mostly heat with my wood stove.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

if powered both ways it is 3 wire...if spring return it is 2 wire.

If you have 3 wire...are you sure you did mix up wire positions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked them again, red is open, green is closed and white is common. I thought I may have done that too, but I checked them before and just did it again just to make sure.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Have you swapped red and green just as a test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but it opens when the zone board call for them to be close and when it requires them to be close. When I cause zone 2 to work it closes 1 and opens 2 and vice versa for zone 1. I did notice that when i use zone 2 zone one closed and it stopped humming. I was hope the zone 2 motor would do the same but it didn't.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I really appreciate your patience through this.

I must admit that even though I have over 20 years experience, I have not went to this depth to change a communicating system.

I will humbly opt out...there is a peer here that I am sure will be glad to pitch in and try to help.

I would rather not guess at this point...and honestly it is a task I have yet to do...

I really wish you the best.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, should I keep this open for your peer or close this session out?