Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Furnace operating but not producing heat. replaced igniter

Customer Question

furnace operating but not producing heat. replaced igniter but still will not ignite and produce heat. trane xb80
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

I'm sorry about your issues with your furnace. On a call for heat, does the small motor at the top of furnace start? Any LED flash codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the small motor starts. no led flash codes
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Get a voltmeter, set to "volts AC" and check for 120 volts to the ignitor leads with a call for heat. If furnace is not lighting, we should be getting some kind of flash code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't currently have a voltmeter wil have to get one. there is a led light flashing next to "DS1"
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

How many flashes before a a pause?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

That would be either an open high limit or one of the flame rollout switches.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The primary high limit will be on the back vertical plate about the size of a playing card with 2 wires attached. May look like this.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Flame rollout switches will be on either end of the burner area. Not sure if they use small disc shaped devices or fusible links.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Does the blower work OK, filter clean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new filter and blower is working
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, well check those limits. One or more is open electrically.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should they be replaced?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

First check and make sure one or more is open. You can turn power off, put the leads together on one switch at a time, and power back on. See if flash code goes away.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.any chance you can send a picture link like you did the primary high limit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I see them but want to make sure
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Flame rollout switch CLICK HERE

High limit CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
awesome thank you.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The flame rollout switches have a small red button in the center that can be pushed in to reset

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I try the reset first or connect the leads?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Try to reset flame rollout switches, then check again. The high limit you will need to turn power off, tape the metal ends of the leads together, then power back on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the reset buttons did not work. although the reset buttons didn't "move". they would not push in. they were lose and would turn but not push like a reset. I taped the leads on the high limit but flashing led remained the same
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Maybe the flame rollouts are bad. Try doing the same thing with both of them---tape leads together and try again.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If this doesn't work, we are missing a limit somewhere. Try taking several pictures of the burner area and upload here. To upload a pic, first save to your PC and upload using the small paperclip icon at top of the answer box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
those leads are covered in heavy plastic so have not taped them together yet. is it safe to cut off the protective coating? cannot get leads connected together with plastic cover
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Just use an unrolled paperclip to connect the two leads together. This is low voltage, so nothing to worry about. Just make sure they don't touch any metal parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I connected both switches and neither one would make the led light stop flashing and the igniter still did not work. can I use the paper clip trick on the high limit?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I thought you already jumpered that one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure how well it worked as it had the coating as well. not sure if it connected good.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, use the paperclip on that one, too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok that did not work either. gonna send photos unless its time to call someone out?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'd like to see several photos of inside the burner area. Make sure we're not missing a limit somewhere. You may want to also check down on the blower housing for one of those disc shaped devices. Sometimes they'll put a limit down there.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need additional help on this problem. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.