HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Goodman gmt070-3a furnace. It is not igniting to

Customer Question
blow hot air. The gas...
I have a Goodman gmt070-3a furnace. It is not igniting to blow hot air. The gas is on in the house but the igniter never glows. I've replaced the igniter with 2 different igniters and still no luck. What else could it be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
11/16/2015
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 2 years ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Have you checked the rollout thermostats around the burner area. One of them could be tripped open causing this issue. Some have a reset button on them and others do not. They all have to be closed in order for it to work properly. Start there and let me know what you find.

They would look like this

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I don't see one. Can I text you a pic?

Yes

CLICK HERE'

Or this one

CLICK HERE

You can upload a pic here with the paperclip attachment

I think the 2nd one you have up there may be it. There are two of them in there

Yes press on the button in the middle and see if one clicks, then try it. Let me know

Those two right in the front with the blue reset buttons.

Ok they dont seem to depress but tried it. Still not working. Ignitor never glows

Ok does the exhaust blower come on and run?

Kicks on, blows for about 30 secs, which used to be when the ignitor would glow then ignition.

OK have you tested for power at the ignitor leads?

Also are you getting any error codes on the board?

I have not tested the leads. Do you mean those on the harness going to the ignitor? Also, how do I know if there's an error on the board?

Yes the leads to the ignitor check them for power. You should have a flashing error message on the board leds.

I have a fluke 75 multimeter but not sure what setting to test the leads??

Set it to AC VOLTS 200 range and put it across the two leads to the ignitor and start it up ...after the inducer comes on what does it read?

ok so just connect to the leads and start the furnace?

YEs put your meter leads across the two to the ignitor and start it up see what you get on the meter

65

Ok well that is like half power so you may have a board relay issue it sounds like it. Do you get nothing then it goes to 65 ?

nothing flashing on the board

OK if nothing is flashing on the board at all and you only have 65 volts to the ignitor I would say the board is bad. Can you remove the board and check the backside for any burn marks?

now the red status light comes on as usual, the blower kicks on, I hear the click like the ignitor should come on but it doesn't. Would all of that still occur if the board was bad?

The joint on the relay for the ignitor may be bad, the relay for the ignitor is on the board though

Ok. So what do I do next?

I would check the backside of the board where the relay for the ignitor is, see if one of the solder joints is bad. Or replace the board on the unit.

could it be the flame sensor?

Not if the ignitor never glows

ok. how about the harness from the board to igniter harness? do those ever go bad?

It could, you should then check for power right off the board to the ignitor to see if you have 120 if so then maybe a wire issue.

A couple joints look overheated....but nothing else. Can you check power off the board to the ignitor to confirm you are not receiving correct voltage?

Sure. Although I'm not sure how to really

Do you see the ignitor wires that go to the board?

if the joint on the relay is bad then the whole board needs replaced?
Now it won't kick on at all. Not sure why....the red light on board is on but unit doesn't kick on

I think there is an issue with that board for sure, nothing else really would cause that issue.

I've now replaced the ignitor and the board and the ignitor still does not glow during the process to kick the unit on. What other suggestions do you have? I'm $200 in parts at this point. Thanks

Does the inducer fan come on and run?

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH