HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

We installed this thermostat a few months ago, set all the

Customer Question
preset times for air which...
we installed this thermostat a few months ago, set all the preset times for air which worked perfectly. Recently we started using heat but the heat won't turn off when it reaches the preset temp. We thought it might be installed incorrectly so I tried a few different changes which didn't respond. I put all my wires back how they were, B black, o orange, y yellow, g green, w white/aux, and red r. Now our air and heat will not turn on at all and this was the orignial set up.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2015
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Let me check the install manual on that thermostat. Give me a couple minutes. Russ

The red is r and jumped to rc also

Remove black wire from B and retry unit. It should be ok. Tape off black wire. B is for reversing valve in some units. Russ

I did try that before but nothing happened. Should I be flipping the breaker off and on each time

Also make sure system is set to heat pump on switch in back of thermostat and set for heat pump in installer setup. Russ

You may have blown fuse in Air Handler. What is make of unit. Russ

Ok, removed and taped off black. Set to electric. No other set up through the thermostat, just turns on. Turned up the thermostat and the it clicks and says heat on but it doesn't actually come on. Grand air gt3ba-030ka
I don't understand. It was set like this 2 hours ago and worked except the heat wouldn't turn off when it was supposed to.

Does fan work when you turn it to on. Russ

No

Turn power off to air handler and check to see if there is a fuse in line from transformer. It will be a yellow 5 amp auto type fuse. The transformer is a square component with 4 wires coming off of it. Russ

I'm sorry i do not know what an air handler is

That is the unit that blows the air. It will be in hallway or attic.

We don't know where that is

Close to where you change filter. Russ

I can't find anything like that. The only filters we change are air filters and there's only air vents, nothing mechanical

If you do not know where air handler is located might be good idea to call service tech. It can get tricky with wiring. Russ

We would have to remove panels and look for fuse. Russ

Even though it was working fine before? I just changed a few things to see if it would fix the problem and it didn't so I put it back how it was.

You may have crossed wires on 24 volts and blew fuse or transformer. Russ

Ok thank you
For your time

You are welcome sometimes we can only go so far. You been great thank you for using Justanswer. Russ

HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago

Thanks

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician