Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Experience:  hvac technichian at performance plumbing and heating
89712187

I have a furnace in a mobile home that is not heating the

Customer Question

i have a furnace in a mobile home that is not heating the home properly. the blower comes on, the combustion ch***** *****ghts and i can see a flame in it. not sure why the air coming from the ducts is room temperature. i was wanting to figure out what the
problem is and was considering getting a new furnace since this one is 10 years old. what would you recommend? should i get it fixed or replace it. if i should replace it, what furnace company would you recommend. its a 14 foot by 66 foot mobile home. i just
got off the phone with a HVAC guy who was calling to give me a quote (really nice guy by the way, tony valentino of valentino hvac and electrical) i told him what was happening (blower is running, furnace is lighting, and can see a large flame through the
peep hole, room temp air is coming from duct, flu is hot) he was stumped also by this. he said with everything that ive told him we should be getting heat. this is nordyne m1mc model. any help would be great. thank you
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

hi i am dan, i can help- you with this. i have worked on thousands of mobile homes and this problem is one i see fairly often. there are really only 2 things that cause it. first would be if the blower has alot of dust built up on it and not circulating enough air. but the second and more likely is that the ductwork has some holes is it or is falling apart and all the heat is going under the home. i would recommend having the problem investigated before replacing the furnace as replacing the furnace may not solve the problem. if you have any more questions please let me know. if not i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service here today by selecting one of the 5 stars or smiley faces. thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the trailer is ten years old and in pretty good shape. the underbelly is still in tact and in good shape also. i have good airflow coming out of all the registers. i removed and cleaned the blower this summer. also the air conditioner works fine and is running from the same blower. so that being said..... are you sure thats what it is?

do you know the manufacturer of the home? most of them use very cheap ductwork. you may get good airflow but not alot of heat. i can not be sure that that is the problem as i can not see what is going on with it. i would just recommend to have the problem diagnosed before replacing the furnace and then you might have the same problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CMH Manufacturing Inc. is the manufacturer and the model is a Southernpine 3 bedroom

ok and when did this problem first start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the first time we turned the heat on this season we noticed that it was blowing cool air. it worked last season though

ok i would still say the most likely problem is with the ductwork. i have even seen this problem on brand new homes. everything you have described so far seems to confirm that the furnace is working properly and if it were me i would have someone come out to test the furnace to be sure and inspect all the ductwork. if you have any more questions please let me know. if not i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars and thank you for using just answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wanted to let you guys know that it is fixed!! :) i took the gas orfice apart where the flame comes out and cleaned it. it was horrible. you could barely see light through it. now the furnace works great!!