HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a monitor GF 500 that comes on OK but doesn't seem to

Customer Question
stay on, goes to 1st...
I have a monitor GF 500 that comes on OK but doesn't seem to stay on, goes to 1st stage then 2nd stage then a short time later goes off with the screen flashing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
11/4/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello.

http://monitorproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/Service%20manuals/GF500ServiceManual.pdf

Tell me if that looks like the service manual or not, I will be referring to it as we go along.

http://screencast.com/t/gHjjNKe8Ad

tell me if you are getting any of these error codes,

We can go from there.

see page

Don't have the manual in front of me but the unit on the front looks just like my unit. No error codes per se but flashing 88 88 and heat level indicator (the different Height bars) once it's been on a while.

Thanks,

Tell me a lot about your technical skills sets so that I can coach you most effectively... that type of heater can be a dangerous producer of carbon monoxide, you should have 2 of those detectors in the home as well.

We can go from there.

I work at a water treatment plant and do some maintenance. I've had the front of the heater unit off, and a couple years ago replaced a diaphragm that had a tear in.

Hello again,

http://screencast.com/t/saRjKQajBwlD

http://screencast.com/t/t6CumLi5dk

Do you have the skills to follow these diagrams and test the electronics components as shown?

.........

If not, you can try this heat stress test on the printed circuit board.

Use a hair drier to slowly and gently warm the card to 120F(warm to the touch but not hot and not over140F)... if you get any change in behavior that means the card is bad...

A micro crack has opened in the printed circuit at a solder joint, or inside its CPU in that case .... or a short circuit has developed as the card expanded when you heated it.

Constant expansion and contraction as these electronics heat and during their duty cycles over the years is what wears these cards out.

It is also a good idea to replug all of the connections in the unit,that burnishes any oxidized terminal connections and will sometimes solve the problem, especially at the printed circuit card and in any sensor molex connectors. Do that with the power off to the unit of course.

Let me know how that goes, we can proceed from there.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer