Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I bought a jotul cb118 stove 8 years ago. Replaced baffle

Customer Question

I bought a jotul cb118 stove 8 years ago. Replaced baffle plate 4 ago large crack in center of plate. Know 4 years later the replacement plate has a small crack down the middle. Can I repair it. Is this a common problem with this stove
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the baffles will normally last a little longer than 4 years, the hotter you run the stove (more wood you put in at a time) the shorter the life of the baffle.

The baffle is made of cast iron... and it expands and contracts dramatically as the stove is used and then shut down, it is not a good candidate for repair at all.

There is welding rod however that can be used on cast iron, but in these high thermal stress applications I can't recommend it... the welding charge would likely be in the $100 range... with a fairly short shelf life so to spea.

There is a chance however that a real good welder with a lot of cast iron experience could weld it using a tempering technique, and produce a baffle that might outlast a replacement. That is a very expensive process however. In the $200 to $400 range, not such a good option in this situation.

If you appreciate my input so far, please rate my work positively... we can go from there. The company only pays me if you rate positively,lacking that I can spend days with a customer at my own expense, without any compensation. Rating does not increase your charges or close the question and it allows you unlimited follow up.