HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a echelon 9.c series furnace. The air works fine. The

Customer Question
Hello, I have a Coleman...
Hello, I have a Coleman echelon 9.c series furnace. The air works fine. The heat does not. The blower comes on, the ignition filament glows, I hear the rather loud click, no gas/flame then the ignition filament turns off. Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/2/2015
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!

Make sure you have gas pressure to the unit (crack a pipe union slightly) and that the gas valve on the piping and on the gas valve on the unit are turned on. Let me know what you find.

The heat was working a few days ago so at that point it was getting gas just fine. The water heater is running off the same gas line which works as well. (crack a pipe union slightly) You want me to physically undo the gas line a little to check?

I'd like you to do the things I mentioned so we can make sure we are actually getting gas to the unit (step 1). Then the next step is to measure voltage at the valve when ignitor comes on (step 2).

Ok, the furnace is getting gas. How do I go about measuring the voltage. I do have a volt meter.

Set to "volts AC" and put one probe on each of the two terminals at the top of the gas valve (touch metal) right about the time ignitor glows. We're looking for around 24 volts AC.

If you are not getting any voltage at any time, then the board is bad. If you are getting voltage, but no gas, then your gas control valve is defective.

ok I will go check, ..back to step 1, i just loosened the pipe a little bit just to smell gas. Was that sufficient?
My gas valve seems to be plugged in with a 5 wire harness? (do you know which wires to test) The valve is on the gas line correct? That is also where i can turn the on/off switch.

Can you upload a clear picture of the wiring diagram?

Thanks for the diagram. I see this is a modulating valve, which is a bit trickier to troubleshoot than a standard valve. I'm going to open this up to some of the other experts on the site here who may be a bit more familiar with a modulating gas system then I am. Please be patient until another expert picks this up. And please do not reply back as this will send back to me and slow response time.

HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello.

can you tell me what the red and yellow light does during this time?

the ***** *****ght just blinks twice steadily (normal for call of heat) it seems. no red light.. The green light rapidly blinks ( factory speedup mode) i think it says on the diagnostic sheet.

then after failure...does light remain the same?

it will try to light 3 or so times i think.
no red error codes.

thank you. If you turn off unit and reboot (back on)..is result same

It appears to be board...but I need to know if it trys to cycle or goes to flashing on reboot

Just turning of the power switch next to it, ya several times. It just starts up the same way, two yellow flashes if i run heat. For what its worth, if I turn off the gas totally and run it, it does not even give an error.

Thank you.

You have a bad circuit board. I would contact the contractor..or a Coleman dealer/York dealer and have returned for warranty. There may be a labor charge, but the part should be covered

and fee free to ask any other questions you need....

there's a warranty sticker for 5 years. It's 5 years and 3 months, figures. May it still be warranty'able ?

this unit I have seen as 10yr.

see here

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech