HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Furnace won't start after gh winds and power outage. Has

Customer Question
Furnace won't start after high...
Furnace won't start after high winds and power outage. Has power. Fan comes on. But not the burners.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
11/2/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Can you give me complete model from inside furnace in burner compartment so I can provide guidance with this specific unit.Model will be on a label just above burners on right or left inside panel

http://i.imgur.com/U8b0GXT.jpg

Payne
373LAV048095I see 1 long blink followed by 3 short blinks.

OK lets make sure, 3 short and then 1 long> The short should blink first

Could be 3 short and 1 long. Not sure when to start counting. Code 31 says pressure switch?

OK if the shorts is 3, that is correct. Turn power off to furnace and back on, See if code goes away. Then call for heat and see how far in lighting sequence it will go and if we go back to same error code.

I will try. I have turned the ckt brkr off a couple of times. Should try again?

Yes lets do once while we are troubleshooting. Tell me if inducer vent motor comes on and if wind has now died down

High wind was a couple of days ago. I just didn't realize the heat was not on until today. The fan does come on. But no burners. I will do the power on/off and txt you back.

Standing by

Did the power on/off. The light glows steady and then goes 3-1 blinks after the fan comes on for a minute or so.I turned the gas valve on/off too. No flame. And no gas smell either.

OK is the small vent motor indeed coming on when you call for heat? It has to draw a vacuum on pressure switch

The motor comes on. I see it turning. Also here the big fan? But don't feel the air blow through the house vents. So not sure whether the fan I hear is the small motor or the big fan that blows air in the house. Just once smelled the typical hot air smell from the house vents/registers. But then it stopped.

Look near vent draft hood ,around burners and on blower housing and see if you find an auxiliary limit that may be tripped.Button in center will push in to reset if so

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Limit-Switch/HH18HA461/2380063?ss=-x3337336c6176303438303935&mr=1

Ok. Will check.

Standing by

I found two little switches. One on the big fan casing. The other near the little motor. Tried to press them in with a screw driver. Didn't feel them go in or anything. Are they to be pressed in or flipped back and forth like a light switch?

Just push in. If neither clicked they were not tripped. Next I want you to locate the pressure switch. It will be a small round canister with a hose attaching it to the inducer housing. Remove hose from inducer housing and leave it attached to the pressure switch. Power off and back on to reset board again, Then call for heat at thermostat. Allow inducer to start then suck on the end of hose still attached to pressure switch and see if switch will close and burners ignite.

Don't see any hoses anywhere. Just s bunch of wires. I can send you a picture. Where to?

If you have a paper clip icon on your page you can attach using that link.Or

You can upload the pictures using the tiny pic site .

Here is a link to the site.

http://tinypic.com/

Click on Browse , select the file from your folder.then click UPLOAD NOW.

They will give you a quote to enter in the box to verify you are a human.Enter the quote and click UPLOAD NOW

You will see your picture on right side of screen.

Then copy the link URL for email & IM

Paste that link here on the site.

What do you mean by "allow the inducer to start"?
By jump the wires together you mean connect them, say by s clamp or something?

The furnace has to sense that switch is OPEN before inducer will start the sequence,Once it does we can jump the switch out.

It's late evening here. So I may wait till tomorrow morning. Don't have a convenient way to jump the wires. May have to go buy them. If it proves the switch is bad, don't have that either.

That is fine. Issue can be bad switch,blockage in vent or issue with inducer blower wheel. I have seen small birds and once a lizard in blower when prevent vacuum from closing switch.

Do you think I should get a tech to look at it?

Phone call request was rejected on payment. This is often because crit card companies suspect fraudulent use of card if you are new to the site.If o you should get an email or phone call verifying the charge is legit. We can work on this tomorrow if you need to.

Just ley me know.

You may come out better to have a tech look rather than just changing parts, but I am here to guide as much as I can.

Ok. Good night and thanks for walking me through this. Will call a tech I'm morning,

Let me know if I can assist further.I will be around most of the day tomorrow.Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

Available?

Yes I am here.

Yesterday after our discussion I closed the furnace doors. And did one final attempt. Surprisingly the flame and heat came on. But it smelled like burnt air. So I turned it off. This morning I cleaned all the filters. Vacuumed the furnace inside. Heat came on and stayed on. But later in the day the heat stopped. Burnt air smell. No flame or heat.

I am wondering if maybe there is something in that inducer. Is it hard to remove to check?

Where and what is the inducer?

It has a little blower wheel tat carries out exhaust and keeps a vacuum on the pressure switch

I see that. It looks a small black blower.

Does that motor stay running all the time you are calling for heat?

I will check. It was running yesterday. Any idea why the hot air smell?

I am wondering if maybe the inducer is not pulling the exhaust out

I also notice that vent fan does nit come on when I switch it on.

That fan has to come on to close the pressure switch

Ok. I guess I will call the local tech tomorrow. We seem to have done everything we can without you actually being here.

Yes it is often hard without actually being onsite

Ok. Thanks.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.

If no expert can help and you are unsatisfied, we can request a refund of your deposit.

Say I checked the inducer thing. It runs when I turn the furnace on. But last couple of times the flame didn't come on. Just the blower came on. Anyway. Thanks.

Ok we are going to have to verify the inducer is sucking a vacuum on the pressure switch, Does yours have a little rubber hose between inducer and pressure switch or is the pressure switch connected directly to inducer?

When do I get a rating request? Haven't gotten any yet.

You should see the 5 stars on your page for rating.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician