Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at Advantage Repair
90277609

How do I light the pilot light on my Amana furnace? I 't see

Customer Question

How do I light the pilot light on my Amana furnace? I don't see any knob with On Off and Pilot settings
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

If the furnace is less than 15-20 years old it likely has automatic ignition. A draft fan would start..then a glow or spark ignitor, flame lights and then later blower turns on. Do you have a model number and do you see any blinking lights on circuit board

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model 80 SSE
I tried to get it going following the instructions on the door, twice. But it has not worked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model is Air Command 80 SSEThere is a red light that blinks but not a steady blink.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

thank you..and what is the blink pattern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It blinks twice and then a pause and then once and a pause and then again same pattern
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Thank you...is the exhaust fan running? do you know what the pressure switch is? size of hockey onits side with rubber tube attached..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what you're talking about
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

ok,

is this something you were going to try and fix yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping to with your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I don't understand your previous message. Do you mean the size of a hockey puck? And on the outside of the furnace or the inside? And yes the fan is working
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

ok, with the upper door off....look things over...look for a 3" tall flying saucer on its side with a rubber tube as thick as a pencil to it..should be 2 wires to it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok found it
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

turn power on..

exhaust fan starts.

remove on wire from that switch...

then put it back on..and tell me what the light blink does

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which is the "on" wire?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

sorry, I am better with furnaces than computers...

Remove one wire (doesnt matter which) then put back...this is while exhaust fan is running

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should the gas be off or on while I'm doing this? Or does it matter?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

everything will be on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so after removing the wire and putting it back on the red light is holding salad and a green light above it is flashing sporadically
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red light is sorta surging. Not a solid light but brighter then dimmer then solid when the green light comes on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it is back to the previous blinking pattern
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

remove the wire again and leave off...tell me code...wait 20 seconds...plug wire back in. 20 seconds later tell me that code

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the wire is unplugged it's flashing twice then once then twice then once just like before. When the wires plugged back in its flashing twice then once then twice then once the green light came on for a couple moments after plugging the wire back in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Green light is flashing every now and then.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

do you have a code chart on the back of the blower door

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I have to go offline for a bit..I am going to open this for the others in case you return before I get back

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon Renae, I am Kevin..... Can I ask you to take a picture and post it here of the model and serial numbers of the furnace. I read over what Billy was trying to help you out with and I just helped a gentleman yesterday with a furnace from the same MFR. Maybe it's something we could figure out.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok still looking for help with my furnace. I do not have a list of codes anywhere. Can someone please review the previous messages on here and help me with the next steps?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Renae, are you able to get a picture of the model and serial # ***** the furnace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to attach photos using this app
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model is air command 80 sse I believe. If that's not it I don't know where to find the model number I don't see anything that looks like a model number or serial number
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

is there a circuit board down in the blower compartment? This would be the bottom of the furnace if in a basement, maybe to left or right if sitting horizontal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is at the bottom
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

on a call for heat, does that light flash a certain # ***** times?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already went through this with the prior guy that left. But yes it was blinking twice and then wants and then twice and then once it was a red light then he had me unhook one of the wires and plug it back in and the pattern changed and a green light came on intermittently
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I'm trying to find the model for your furnace, on the outside panel it says Amana SSE 80 correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the top outside panel it says Amana Air Command 80 SSE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have access to previous notes from "Billy"?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok great, behind that panel is the burner compartment correct? if so, in that panel should be a sticker on one of the side walls or base of the burner compartment, with a model and serial #, so that I can pull up a schematic of your furnace.

Yes, I do have access to his notes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow finally found it had to squeeze my phone camera in to take a picture and then enlarge it and write it down so after about 20 takes here it is model number GU I C090CA30 serial number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok, great, give me a few minutes to look that up and over.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok, according to your notes with Billy an dwhat you have described, you have a pressure switch that is stuck in the closed position, ( sorta like a light switch in the on position ).

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

this will prevent the burners from lighting, gas from flowing, ignition system from starting. I think Billy had you remove the tubing on one or both? Was this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

a pressure switch has failed and needs to be replaced. This is beyond the limit of the question, that can be answered. We can further test each switch, if two are present in the furnace, but this will require a voltmeter, some expertise on your part knowing how to read that voltmeter and extra time on my part which would require Apprx $150. additional.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

If you do not feel comfortable testing circuits using a voltmeter, I would suggest calling a local technician to accurately diagnose using the meters and replace the faulty part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Your Welcome Renae, sorry I can't get in there to help you more, but this is a little more technical then one would think. I would not suggest to someone that is not familiar with using a volt/ohm meter, and may even get to testing pressures, with even a different meter.

Good luck Renae.