HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

In need of help troubleshooting Carrie 8000 ts. I turn on

Customer Question
In need of help troubleshooting...
In need of help troubleshooting Carrie 8000 ts.
I turn on heat switch and blower turns on, but no heat.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
10/31/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Look on blower housing for control board and see if we have a light flashing.If so tell me the pattern of the flash as that will tell us where to start troubleshooting

LED is constant

Does it change when furnace fails to light? It should give us an error code such as two short flashes followed by 2 long flashes

no. LED remains solid. The fan/blower almost immediately turns on.

Does fan stay on or run for 90 seconds and shut off?

the fan will run indefinately. I have to turn off the heat.

Does the little vent motor ever come on? If not do you have ammeter to see if it is getting power on call for heat?

no. it does not. I have a meter. tell me where to check for power
I dont know if it makes a difference,but this unit has another thermostat connected to it as well

You may have a zone system if you have two thermostats, but we still should get heat if this is the main thermostat.I actually have a phone call and need to step away.I will open to other experts while I am gone and will check in when I et off phone.

I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk. Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.

OK I am back. Can you get a volt meter so we can do some troubleshooting? The firdt thing that has to happen is we have to get power to the vent inducer motor.

ok. I have a meter. Which wires do I test?

Let me know when you are online.

It will be tomorrow afternoon. I have to work. Thanks so far

Tomorrow afternoon is fine.

I'm ready when you are

Ok on furnace control board where thermostat wires hook up, do you see a C and an R terminal?

I have a control board. I can see that it calls up the heat and the blower. I realize that the control board connects up to the furnace board. I'll open the panel and locate them.
Holy smokes! There's a half million wires! I believe I have it located.

OK what I want you to do is this.first make sure we are getting 24 volts between that R and COM on board.I feel sure we are but want to verify.

OK. Tested it and am getting 24 v

Excellent. Next I want you to unplug the wires at the little inducer vent motor. Put meter probes into the connector that you unplugged from motor. Power off then back on to reset board. Then call for heat and see if we get 120v at the plug. (Door button of course needs to be in or panel in place to hold button in.)

far no voltage. I unplugged the motor (has a red, black, and white wire). I placed the probes into the plug making contact and get no reading (this is with the heat and blower called and door switched in the operating (closed position)

But error light is staying solid?

error light stays solid green which states that it is receiving 24 volts

OK on call for heat, the board checks low heat and high heat pressure switches to verify they are open. If so, inducer should start.If not we should get either a 31 or 32 error code.

Lets do this. On furnace control board lets jumper R to W and see if inducer will start.

Ok. have jumper wire and turned heat on. the blower came on. I have no idea how to interpret the LED but it has a long blink, then a second or so pause then 2 quicker blinks.

OK let me know if that changes after 90 seconds

Gee wiz. Got the heater to come on. While I was typing this up, I could smell the heater and went to check and it is now on

OK that implies the issue is with the thermostat rather than the furnace. Has thermostat been replaced since heater last worked?

No. Interesting though... The thermostat went out last year and had the people that manufactured it (XCI Controls) help troubleshoot it and found it was faulty. The new one I installed is a LUX
I assume the jumper makes the heater come on regardless once the door button is depressed. Correct? I am going to let the button out cause it is getting mighty hot

Jumping R and W bypassed the thermostat. Thermostat is not signaling furnace to come on.Do you know if you have a heat pump outdoor unit?If unsure give me model on outdoor and I can tell you.

the XCI Smartzone-4 board in incorrect? When I turn the temp up to call for heat, I can see the green light (which indicates it is calling for heat) and red light (indicates it is calling for the blower) come on. I believe the wires from the thermostat go to the smartzone board first then to the heater. Correct?
It is not a heat pump.. I think. Carrier model 38TXA036330 serial 2703E28850

Ok tell me what thermostat wires connect where on furnace board.Then lets move to thermostat. Remove front of thermostat and give me model on the thermostat, then tell me what wires are connected where.

A picture would save a lot of typing if you can take a pic.

Send me one also of thermostat with front removed.

Next tell me model on thermostt

Next tell me model on thermost

Make is LUX. guessing model is TX9600TSa

Lets look at the dip switches as shown on page 18/19 here

http://luxproducts.com/IMG/pdf/tx9600tsa_manual_en.pdf

1 should be to right

all of the switches are to the right. Same as the manual shows

Ok lets do this. Remove the Red and white wire at thermostat and touch them together or loosen screws and move white over to the Rh slot with red and see if furnace will come on.

Is the jumper wire still to be in place or remove it?

Remove the one at furnace. What we are doing is basically same thing but at thermost

I have the white connected to the Rh. The smartzone board shows the green light and red light on, but only the blower is on. No heater.

On smatzone board lets check between C and W and see if we have 24v?

I reset the HW button and put the wires back where they are supposed to go and put everything back in order. We are still in the same boat. The thermostat calls up the heat and blower. The blower comes on but no heat.
After I typed the above, I was attempting to check the C and W wires on the smartboard. While I was trying to do that the W2 O/B yellow led light came on. A couple of minutes later the blower turned off, the inducer vent motor turned on, the ignition light came on, but did not light nor did I hear gas being expelled. After approx 10 seconds, both the vent motor and ignition light turned off and the fan came back on and continues to run.
I am still attempting to check for 24 volts. The slots are tiny and there are no exposed portions of the wires. I can disconnect it at the furnace end and check there. Is that acceptable?

Ok it seems like we may have a couple of things going on. First of all. let me say the blower on for 90 seconds is normal when turning power on to furnace.But then when the inducer comes on and igniter does not light we should get an error code on the board telling us what failed in the circuit by giving us a flash code such as three long and one short flash or something.

To be honest with you I am not real familiar with the smartzone board and how it operates. Rather than mislead you I feel it fair to you that I opt out and see if maybe another expert familiar with the board pick up here.

Be sure if another expert picks up the question to explain that you have this smartzone board and make sure they are familiar with the board and how it works in conjunction with your furnace.

Ok. Thanks thus far. Glad we got the furnace to ignite.
While I was up there trying to get a voltage reading (it has happened twice now) the process of attempting to light has repeated itself with no flame. I will continue watching to see if an error code comes up.

I will keep monitoring the question to see if anyone picks it up or if you reply with a code.

PLease wait to see if we can help before rating answer.

Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.

If no expert can help and you are unsatisfied, we can request a refund of your deposit

No worries. You guys have done great. Well worth the money.
So if I change out the thermostat, it should potentially run correctly? If so, I sure don't mind getting one and going that route.

Possibly but I am still concerned why you are not getting an error code when ignition fails

It has not tried to reignite again. I will try through the evening and see if it will do it again. Seems when I was messing with the wiring is when it would cycle but I never looked at the furnace LED sensor. Next time it happens, I'll be watching it.

Sounds good.

I spoke with the people that make the XCI board and told them everything we have done to date. They said that if you are not getting 24V at the furnace (since the thermostat goes to the XCI board, then goes to the furnace), then the SmartZone board is out and needs replaced. Make sense to you? I am going to wire the thermostat wires directly to the furnace and see if the furnace works that way. If it does, problem solved. It will be a few hours before I get to do that but will send you the outcome. Thx

Makes sense .Please let me know.

Ok. I have wired the thermostat to the furnace and it works as it should. Conclusive evidence that the XCI SmartZone board is the problem. The XCI guys said specifically the W is what is out after talking to them again. The board is approximately $150 and can pick it up tomorrow locally.
I would have pulled my hair out trying to figure this out by myself and probably spent way more just troubleshooting this without your help. Thanks again.

I am not real familiar with that board but knew we weren't getting signal all the way to furnace.Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician